Adding corals to DT

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've asked a similar question in the past but this is now getting desperate and I still don't know what to do!!

I have had some corals for a while and they have been left on their plugs (on a frag rack). I need to take them off the rack and place them on the rock but I don't know the best way to do it.

I have sorted out the GSP, Zoas and Ricordeas (aside from 1 Ric that I can't get to attach to a rock no matter what I do) but I now need to move the LPS.

How do you place them to see that they will be happy in their new location, without glueing them permanently in place? Can I remove the frag plugs to make them more aesthetic and natural? If yes, how do I go about doing that?

I have the following that I need to move ASAP.

* Candy Cane
* Duncan
* Red War Coral (that is growing so quickly that has already encrusted almost the entire plug)
* Mayan Sun Favia
* Toadstool Leather

And a couple of others that can wait a bit.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked a similar question in the past but this is now getting desperate and I still don't know what to do!!

I have had some corals for a while and they have been left on their plugs (on a frag rack). I need to take them off the rack and place them on the rock but I don't know the best way to do it.

I have sorted out the GSP, Zoas and Ricordeas (aside from 1 Ric that I can't get to attach to a rock no matter what I do) but I now need to move the LPS.

How do you place them to see that they will be happy in their new location, without glueing them permanently in place? Can I remove the frag plugs to make them more aesthetic and natural? If yes, how do I go about doing that?

I have the following that I need to move ASAP.

* Candy Cane
* Duncan
* Red War Coral (that is growing so quickly that has already encrusted almost the entire plug)
* Mayan Sun Favia
* Toadstool Leather

And a couple of others that can wait a bit.

One option:

Use something like Two Little Fishies coral putty to hold your plugs in place.

If there happy over time, pull off the plugs, remove the putty.

Then use Seacheam's Reef Glue (Super Glue) for a permit bold.

Also done a final mount like the below:
1) Super Glue to bottom of flat plug.
2) Layer of TLFs putty.
3) Anther Super Glue layer below the TLFs putty, attach to live rock.

Wonder if you rubberbanded down your softies to small rocks, would make them take ahold???

We used to push toothpicks through toadstool frags. Wrapped rubber bands on the outer toothpicks and around a small rock. So, the toadstool was held in place until it attached.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The super glue isnt permantent. When it dries u just pull it or chop it off the bottom of the plug with bone cutters.
I use green cap super glue gel from the dollar tree. Hths
Why dont u want your coral on the rock?
D

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks. I will try to mount them tomorrow.

I do want them on the rock. I'm just concerned that if I put them somewhere where they're not happy I won't be able to move them. Hopefully if I just use a little bit of glue then I can snap them off if I need to move them later.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back