Adding cured dry rock during cycle?

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it. I'm mostly through the cycle, ammonia is very low, nitrite is extremely high, I just put in 40lbs of live sand and I'm going to add bio spira in a few days. I have some rock which I've bleached and cured and washed a thousand times. Is it safe to add more into my aquascape at this time? I don't believe that they would leech any nutrients out. Below is my latest photo but it is still cloudy from the live sand. Just turned the filter sock on the get the rest of the cloud out since it's been a few hours already. Thanks in advance for the advice!
2d226231790a127620d2930c97b8f71a.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean dry rocks alone shouldn’t restart or help your cycle initially, but it will take some time for the new rocks to get colonized by bacteria. Worst case I’d say is it could leach some phosphates despite all the cleaning efforts.

When you add biospira make sure to accompany by a source of ammonia.

OP
OP
Hiachi20

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean dry rocks alone shouldn’t restart or help your cycle initially, but it will take some time for the new rocks to get colonized by bacteria. Worst case I’d say is it could leach some phosphates despite all the cleaning efforts.

When you add biospira make sure to accompany by a source of ammonia.
Right. I'm glad you said that. I'll make sure there's some ammonia or I'll throw some food in

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some dry rock during my cycle & it didn't hurt anything. I can't imagine it would hurt anything and it would probably allow the bacteria to start growing on the rock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back