adding different substrate over sand?

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having trouble getting my substrate cleaned.. it seems every time i vaccum i just suck i a bunch of sand with all the stuff and the bottom but the sand clogs up the flow and i dont really get anything up.. im wondering if i should put some crushed coral on top of the sand to make it easier?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im having trouble getting my substrate cleaned.. it seems every time i vaccum i just suck i a bunch of sand with all the stuff and the bottom but the sand clogs up the flow and i dont really get anything up.. im wondering if i should put some crushed coral on top of the sand to make it easier?
Crushed coral and sand may create a cloudy mess. Simply add a coarse sand as those by Carib Sea

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
should i removed all my old sand first ?
It has beneficial bacteria which will feed new sand. Place it over the top and then when you siphon, it will blend/mix

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has beneficial bacteria which will feed new sand. Place it over the top and then when you siphon, it will blend/mixi
so i have caribsee live sand already it looks like its bahamas oolite i dunno if thats what u were suggesting.

also would it be wise to put my fish into a bucket temporarily while i siphon out most of the water to put the coarser sand down?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so i have caribsee live sand already it looks like its bahamas oolite i dunno if thats what u were suggesting.

also would it be wise to put my fish into a bucket temporarily while i siphon out most of the water to put the coarser sand down?
Unless youre expecting a mess, no reason to remove fish but would not hurt.

Back