Adding dry rock to an established tank

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, so I had a bit of a tank crash and lost pretty much all of my sps within about a week. Sad day but I am trying to see the better side of things, I was wanting to rescape the tank anyways so this is a perfect opportunity to do so. I have currently taken out about 95% of the live rock and out it through a bleach bath to remove unwanted hitchhiker's. The Rock is now drying out so that I can restart my scape and make it more ideal for a thriving sps tank.
So my question is, can I add the rock back into the display with fish before cycling the rock or will that cause a very high ammonia spike possibly harming the fish? I don't really have enough room to cycle all the rock other than in the tank so I'm in a bit of a bind.

Thanks in advance

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could add some of this

Or another starting bacteria to be safe

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is cycling bacteria in a bottle.can be used in a new tank and add fish immediately, no waiting. It is the cycle.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, so I had a bit of a tank crash and lost pretty much all of my sps within about a week. Sad day but I am trying to see the better side of things, I was wanting to rescape the tank anyways so this is a perfect opportunity to do so. I have currently taken out about 95% of the live rock and out it through a bleach bath to remove unwanted hitchhiker's. The Rock is now drying out so that I can restart my scape and make it more ideal for a thriving sps tank.
So my question is, can I add the rock back into the display with fish before cycling the rock or will that cause a very high ammonia spike possibly harming the fish? I don't really have enough room to cycle all the rock other than in the tank so I'm in a bit of a bind.

Thanks in advance
Definitely I would seed the bacteria.

I think that it would be dependent on the DT volume and the load your going to throw at it.
If your transferring multiple tangs and the like, I be very careful going full bore unless you have to.

I transferred mine into a 180g restart in groups, one week apart.
Least aggressive first until only tangs left.....then all three at once.

I used an ammonia badge just to be safe. Ammonia stayed zero.

D0AB2206-ED16-4713-8BC3-A93CBE35E00C.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely I would seed the bacteria.

I think that it would be dependent on the DT volume and the load your going to throw at it.
If your transferring multiple tangs and the like, I be very careful going full bore unless you have to.

I transferred mine into a 180g restart in groups, one week apart.
Least aggressive first until only tangs left.....then all three at once.

D0AB2206-ED16-4713-8BC3-A93CBE35E00C.jpeg
The fish are still in the tank so I won't have a problem with that, my biggest concern was with the cycling on the dry rock in the tank with fish in it already. I will source some of that bacteria to help the tank along. The tank is a 225 gallon so it will be quite a bit of rocking going back into the tank.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back