Adding dry rocks

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a few rocks I’ve had in storage for a few years .
they are in styrofoam livestock boxes and have been dry since I packed them in there a few years ago .

is there a process to cure ( not sure if they have come in contact with any contaminants )
Soaking in a bucket with tank water after water change ?

B170249B-683F-4786-ADD8-E4A1BFDD35DC.jpeg F2468FF4-0BC5-43EC-AC4C-703E09B65978.jpeg

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its been dry for a few years then I doubt you have much to worry about. I would still throw it in a buck with freshly mixed salt water, not tank water, and monitor it for a week or two.

If you really want to make sure, then add a small power head and change the water out in that bucket 2 to 3 times that week just to get rid of anything that might leech out of the rock.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its been dry for a few years then I doubt you have much to worry about. I would still throw it in a buck with freshly mixed salt water, not tank water, and monitor it for a week or two.

If you really want to make sure, then add a small power head and change the water out in that bucket 2 to 3 times that week just to get rid of anything that might leech out of the rock.

Thank you !
There are a few crab / snail shells wedged in a few of them .

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put it in RODI to soak it

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would do this, especially if you are not in a rush, you get to make sure the rock is safe and also start the cycle, I would add a heater too if your ambient temp is on the cold side just to help the cycle, no need is the room temp is reasonable. Add a bit of rock or sand to help the cycle start and a bit of food if no ammonia present.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do this, especially if you are not in a rush, you get to make sure the rock is safe and also start the cycle, I would add a heater too if your ambient temp is on the cold side just to help the cycle, no need is the room temp is reasonable. Add a bit of rock or sand to help the cycle start and a bit of food if no ammonia present.
There can be ammonia present if I add it to my established sump .
even if it’s not live yet .
it will be shortly after adding it .
I was asking more for a process to “clean “ to assure nothing from inside the livestock shipping container could contaminate the rocks

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be ammonia present if I add it to my established sump .
even if it’s not live yet .
it will be shortly after adding it .
I was asking more for a process to “clean “ to assure nothing from inside the livestock shipping container could contaminate the rocks

You ask could you soak in a bucket of tank water to clean them, I was saying that would be good and it would also start the cycle on the rocks? Not sure what I’ve missed?

Back