Adding dry sand to an established tank

kkarvelas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve had my tank up and running since around last may. With water changes and a cyano episode ive sucked out a good bit of sand. I have a packet of dry fine sand I want to add to the tank, I’ve added live before in the past with a previous tank but never dry.
Any risks in doing this? Anyone have a tips tricks or advice ? I haven’t heard much about reefers adding dry sand and want to check with this forum first :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse it a lot before adding. No worries

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse thoroughly with tap until clear. Or mostly clear. Then do the final rinse with Ro/DI. You’ll find that when rinsing sand with tap, you’ll get it pretty clear. Then once you do the final rinse with Ro/di, it’ll cloud up a bit more than with tap. The ultra pure nature of Ro/di is the reason for this. Definitely don’t waste Any more Ro/di than you have to.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just use tap water, but that's me.

When you add it to the tank, I find it goes best (least cloudy) if you either use a long piece of large diameter PVC as a funnel or put the sand in a plastic dish, slowly allow it to fill with water, then carefully take it to the bottom and pour it out.

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added new dry sand to my several year old reef Last week. Rinsed with well water with no problems. Probably would worry about city water but luckily have well water. Livin in the boonies has some benefits. Used a wide mouth canning funnel taped to my 24” python vacuum tube. Just poured about a cup at a time into the funnel with the tube at the bottom. Just move the tube around wherever you need more sand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a small amount of water remains after washing sand. Inconsequential.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a few cups of sand in mesh filter bags and throw in my sump where no light hits it...then when I need to fill spots in.. I have a bag of seeded sand ready to put in DT. Then I replace bag in sump with new sand. I'm no expert on bacteria but I just thought it logically made sense to help it not grow algae or effect anything when added & mixed with DT sand. I would love to hear educated thoughts on this.
Thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back