Adding Euro Brace?

SteveMM62Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2020
Messages
2,640
Reaction score
1,617
Location
La Plata
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 65 Gallon Rimless Aquarium, that I need to move from my Shop to Aquarium Room. I have the help and equipment to move it just with it drained down. But, I’m thinking about tearing it down and installing Euro Bracing to the Front and Sides. This is to give me a better place to set the glass top, and to prevent splashing over the side while cleaning. Any advice on how to add the Euro Brace would be appreciated.
 
I don’t know how to add it but I just had a custom made tank built that way.

Mine is 12 mm glass, 3 inches wide (110 gallons DT)

1706717955251.jpeg


I asked them to put some on the bottom as well, for added strength (it wasn’t necessary though as the security factor was high enough already).

1706718045088.jpeg
 
I don’t know how to add it but I just had a custom made tank built that way.

Mine is 12 mm glass, 3 inches wide (110 gallons DT)

1706717955251.jpeg


I asked them to put some on the bottom as well, for added strength (it wasn’t necessary though as the security factor was high enough already).

1706718045088.jpeg
i plan on doing this exactly to a future 60G cube(bracing the bottom inside, and of course the top)

does anyone have an idea of how thick the glass has to be for a 60G cube? should it be thicker, or the same as the glass of the cube?
 
@Idech Interesting that your brace goes all the way to the sides. When I had my tank made the manufacturer specifically chose not to.
 
I don’t know how to add it but I just had a custom made tank built that way.

Mine is 12 mm glass, 3 inches wide (110 gallons DT)

1706717955251.jpeg


I asked them to put some on the bottom as well, for added strength (it wasn’t necessary though as the security factor was high enough already).

1706718045088.jpeg
Does anyone have video on how bottom brace being added?

I try to refill glue this way many time but it came out horribly wrong!!

If anyone can share advice or have any video to send me, I'd be very appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
 
Does anyone have video on how bottom brace being added?

I try to refill glue this way many time but it came out horribly wrong!!

If anyone can share advice or have any video to send me, I'd be very appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
You want to use a very thin strip of glass (ideally <32-38mm wide), silicone adhesive cure rates can reach <1mm per-side, per-day in large slab laminations like the bottom bracing pictured above!

I actually tested this, and managed a total of 62.5mm cured solid silicone out of a 75mm wide glass:glass silicone lamination over an 8 week long curing period, using a ventilation system the entire time to help silicone cure faster…


As to applying the glass bottom brace strips inside a tank:

— I’ve had good luck laying a large bead of silicone along the inside corner being worked on, then setting the thoroughly cleaned glass strip or strips into the silicone like a wedge, letting the glass bracing extrude all the air from the seams…

— Note that this does take some care to avoid pressing the glass bracing strips too tightly against the tank’s glass panes, starving the seams of silicone adhesive!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new