Adding extra salt or water calculation

KimNotKardashian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yal!! Newbie idiot at your service.

I have a couple of questions that have come about while I am mixing up my very first batch of water using the Red Sea salt.

After mixing for a few hours and bringing the temperature up believe my first scale that I used to measure out my salt to mix up my first batch of 25 gallons was wrong. I checked the salinity and it was lower than my target. RIP to that scale and I bought a new one.

Obviously I need more salt but is there a more scientific way to do this? I’m tempted to free sprinkle salt in like I’m seasoning food but have the feeling there must be a better way of measuring out additional salt. Also, what if the opposite happens and I need more water? Any way of calculating the extra amount needed?

Next idiot question that I just wondered for my own sake. How much does temperature affect the salinity? My refractometer has the temperature on it so it leads me to believe it is important. I was making sure to measure my salinity at 77 like the box said.

Almost ready to fill this bad boy up after months of planning and am super stoked!!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yal!! Newbie idiot at your service.

I have a couple of questions that have come about while I am mixing up my very first batch of water using the Red Sea salt.

After mixing for a few hours and bringing the temperature up believe my first scale that I used to measure out my salt to mix up my first batch of 25 gallons was wrong. I checked the salinity and it was lower than my target. RIP to that scale and I bought a new one.

Obviously I need more salt but is there a more scientific way to do this? I’m tempted to free sprinkle salt in like I’m seasoning food but have the feeling there must be a better way of measuring out additional salt. Also, what if the opposite happens and I need more water? Any way of calculating the extra amount needed?

Next idiot question that I just wondered for my own sake. How much does temperature affect the salinity? My refractometer has the temperature on it so it leads me to believe it is important. I was making sure to measure my salinity at 77 like the box said.

Almost ready to fill this bad boy up after months of planning and am super stoked!!
No idiot questions at all! We’ve all been there. The temp on your refractometer is a good thing. It adjust for temp so your reading is accurate.

As far as salinity, you can add a little salt at a time until your salinity is where you want it to be. If you overdo it, you can just add more water. There might be a formula out there, but this is how I’ve always done it.

Keep asking question! We’re all here to help!

OP
OP
KimNotKardashian

KimNotKardashian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idiot questions at all! We’ve all been there. The temp on your refractometer is a good thing. It adjust for temp so your reading is accurate.

As far as salinity, you can add a little salt at a time until your salinity is where you want it to be. If you overdo it, you can just add more water. There might be a formula out there, but this is how I’ve always done it.

Keep asking question! We’re all here to help!
My idea of a little may be different than your idea. My gut says to throw in like 1-2 cups at a time and then recheck in an hour.

Same thing with adding water. I feel like maybe 1/4 gallon at a time again. Both of these amounts are for my 26 gallon bucket I have going. Does that sound about right or do you think way more or less?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idea of a little may be different than your idea. My gut says to throw in like 1-2 cups at a time and then recheck in an hour.

Same thing with adding water. I feel like maybe 1/4 gallon at a time again. Both of these amounts are for my 26 gallon bucket I have going. Does that sound about right or do you think way more or less?
I just reread your post and realized how much water you’re making. I only make 5g at a time so I’m not sure about the numbers. Hopefully someone who makes that volume can chime in. You’ve got the right idea though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easy to calculate the effects of diluting water. Salinity or the non-1 digits of the specific gravity are directly proportional to the amount of water.

So if the water is 36 ppt, and you want 35 ppt, the water volume needs to be raised by a factor of 36/35 or 1.029. On 26 gallons, that means raising it to 1.029 x 26 gallons = 26.7 gallons (or 0.7 gallons of RO/DI).

Same if the sg is 1.028 and you want 1.027. New volume needed is 28/27 = 1.037 , so new volume is 1.037 x 26 gallons = 27 gallons. Add 1 gallon of RO/DI.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't clear if the topic was mainly related to initial mix or fine-tuning after.

For initial mix, most salt buckets/boxes/bags should have instructions.
Might depend on the brand but usually something like 1/2 cup of salt per 1 gallon of water.

For fine-tuning, I'm assuming most of us just wing it and rely on testing salinity.

For semi-significant changes to out-of-whack salinity water, post #5 already covers that.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when initially mixing water
I know the volume of my water change bucket is roughly 8 buckets with a line on the brute can ( I lug salt buckets full of tank water to the toilet to dispose of for water changes )
I use a old 250ml sour cream container I’ve washed and dedicated to using for salt
I add 7 scoops to the water and turn on the mixing pump .

A while later I check salinity and add slowly checking salinity after it’s dissolved

The issue I see with accurately measuring salt by scale is so we also accurately measure water the same way? It is possible to not be mixed exactly as directed

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easy to calculate the effects of diluting water. Salinity or the non-1 digits of the specific gravity are directly proportional to the amount of water.

So if the water is 36 ppt, and you want 35 ppt, the water volume needs to be raised by a factor of 36/35 or 1.029. On 26 gallons, that means raising it to 1.029 x 26 gallons = 26.7 gallons (or 0.7 gallons of RO/DI).

Same if the sg is 1.028 and you want 1.027. New volume needed is 28/27 = 1.037 , so new volume is 1.037 x 26 gallons = 27 gallons. Add 1 gallon of RO/DI.
Randy I knew you’d have a formula for this!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back