Adding fish back after Fallow

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 6 week fallow period is coming to an end in the next week i currently have 7 fish in QT 2x tomato clownfish 2x carberryi anthias 1x coral beauty 1x one spot rabbitfish 1x yellow tang all in a 55G QT how do you think i should add the fish back into the DT? 2 per week? i dont wanna see any ammonia spikes or anything i have been ghost feeding the DT every other day to keep the inverts happy

The yellow tang will be the last to go in as ive only had him in QT for about 9 days and i wanted to monitor him some more the rest have been in QT for 3 weeks and have already been treated with metroplex and prazipro

Before my tank got hit with velvet i had 6 fish 1 tomato 1 coral beauty 1 lyretail anthias 2x pyramid butterfly fish and 1 one spot rabbit

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the DT they are going into? Assuming it is larger, 2 per week is plenty safe. And if you want to be triple sure, throw in some bottled bacteria.

Welcome back to reefing after your 6 week sabbatical!

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the DT they are going into? Assuming it is larger, 2 per week is plenty safe. And if you want to be triple sure, throw in some bottled bacteria.

Welcome back to reefing after your 6 week sabbatical!
its a 150G reef 72x18x28

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 6 week fallow period is coming to an end in the next week i currently have 7 fish in QT 2x tomato clownfish 2x carberryi anthias 1x coral beauty 1x one spot rabbitfish 1x yellow tang all in a 55G QT how do you think i should add the fish back into the DT? 2 per week? i dont wanna see any ammonia spikes or anything i have been ghost feeding the DT every other day to keep the inverts happy

The yellow tang will be the last to go in as ive only had him in QT for about 9 days and i wanted to monitor him some more the rest have been in QT for 3 weeks and have already been treated with metroplex and prazipro

Before my tank got hit with velvet i had 6 fish 1 tomato 1 coral beauty 1 lyretail anthias 2x pyramid butterfly fish and 1 one spot rabbit
I’m assuming it’s fallow because of ich. How did you treat it?

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming it’s fallow because of ich. How did you treat it?
it was fallow because of marine velvet and it took out all my fish before it was all said and done 4 died before i had a chance to treat them and 2 fish died during treatment it was too late for them in the span of 3 days i lost all my fish

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was fallow because of marine velvet and it took out all my fish before it was all said and done 4 died before i had a chance to treat them and 2 fish died during treatment it was too late for them in the span of 3 days i lost all my fish
I’m going through ich right now which is why I ask. Honestly, I don’t know but I’m sure there are many threads on it so if you haven’t already try searching it up

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the losses. Kudos on the aggressive action to save the other animals. I've read enough about velvet to know that you made a big difference in the outcome. Velvet is tough.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If the tank had 6 fish in it before the outbreak and you have been feeding it all along, I would add 1/2 the fish when it's ready and wait a week then the rest of them.
It's not like you are stocking fish for the first time in a new tank.

The tank had established bacteria levels before.
They may go a little dormant if their food levels dropped( lack of fish poop), but they aren't going to die.
They should pickup fairly fast.
If you are really unsure, add a bottle of bacteria when you add the first fish.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my fallow period I add all 7 back in at one time. Granted I did not have any big fish just clowns cardinals leapord wrasse goby etc. into my 125 gallon. Not even a glitch. If you had an established rank and you ghost feed. I don’t see any issue. But always best to take slow. Actually I threw in a black molly to test. Good luck

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For what it's worth, I went through the same thing last winter/spring.
I left my display tank fallow for 80 days and all during that time I fed the tank 2- 3 times per week.
When it was time to move the fish back, I moved all 11 fish back on the same day with zero issues.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify...maybe I'm reading this incorrectly.

You moved all your fish over to a 55g quarantine tank and treated them due to a Velvet outbreak in your DT with Metroplex and Prazipro. You then went fallow in your DT for 76 days. But, you mentioned you added a yellow tang to the quarantine tank 9 days ago?

So correct me if I'm wrong on your procedure...but,
1. Metroplex and Prazipro don't treat Velvet...
2. If you added a new fish to the quarantine tank (yellow tang) while your other fish were in treatment...then you need to start over with your quarantine and treatment. The new fish (yellow tang) will have spread any disease it may have had to the other fish that you already treated.

Again, maybe I'm missing something in your process...but that is how I read your message.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify...maybe I'm reading this incorrectly.

You moved all your fish over to a 55g quarantine tank and treated them due to a Velvet outbreak in your DT with Metroplex and Prazipro. You then went fallow in your DT for 76 days. But, you mentioned you added a yellow tang to the quarantine tank 9 days ago?

So correct me if I'm wrong on your procedure...but,
1. Metroplex and Prazipro don't treat Velvet...
2. If you added a new fish to the quarantine tank (yellow tang) while your other fish were in treatment...then you need to start over with your quarantine and treatment. The new fish (yellow tang) will have spread any disease it may have had to the other fish that you already treated.

Again, maybe I'm missing something in your process...but that is how I read your message.
no maybe i wrote it wrong all the fish in the QT i purchased 3-4 weeks ago after all my fish died in my DT after i got velvet and its been empty for 5 weeks at the moment

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my main tank got velvet 4 of my 6 fish died within the first 2 days i attempted to save the other 2 with a 10g QT i had setup and copper but they didn't make it so i let my tank go fallow and purchased a used 55G tank and stand and other equipment and more fish they have been in the QT for 3 weeks now

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no maybe i wrote it wrong all the fish in the QT i purchased 3-4 weeks ago after all my fish died in my DT after i got velvet and its been empty for 5 weeks at the moment
Oh...ok!!! But, if you did just add another new fish (yellow tang) to that already medicated group 9 days ago, you should start your quarantine treatment all over again. Depends on the risk you want to accept.

Sorry you had to go through such a hit from velvet, though. Probably something you don't want to risk again!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
when my main tank got velvet 4 of my 6 fish died within the first 2 days i attempted to save the other 2 with a 10g QT i had setup and copper but they didn't make it so i let my tank go fallow and purchased a used 55G tank and stand and other equipment and more fish they have been in the QT for 3 weeks now
did you treat the new fish with copper?

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...ok!!! But, if you did just add another new fish (yellow tang) to that already medicated group 9 days ago, you should start your quarantine treatment all over again. Depends on the risk you want to accept.

Sorry you had to go through such a hit from velvet, though. Probably something you don't want to risk again!
i dont plant to treat the fish with copper unless i needed to so i planned to monitor them for disease and the yellow tang i got from a local reefer that had the tang for a year and treated in his QT with copper for a month before putting him in his DT looks healthy so i figured it was a small risk

did you treat the new fish with copper?
no i avoided using copper unless i really needed to

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i dont plant to treat the fish with copper unless i needed to so i planned to monitor them for disease and the yellow tang i got from a local reefer that had the tang for a year and treated in his QT with copper for a month before putting him in his DT looks healthy so i figured it was a small risk

no i avoided using copper unless i really needed to
after having gone through a bout with velvet seems like that's the first thing you should treat with.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after having gone through a bout with velvet seems like that's the first thing you should treat with.
my tank got velvet from inverts i ordered shrimp and snails from an online vender then 2 days later after 1 of the shrimp molted i started noticing my fish started acting funny. and seeing as though the cycle of velvet is so quick my opinion is if any of the fish had it they would have been dead by now again this is my opinion and my way of running QT. i never ran a QT before this incident with velvet and my first time dealing with it its a very nasty parasite

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my tank got velvet from inverts i ordered shrimp and snails from an online vender then 2 days later after 1 of the shrimp molted i started noticing my fish started acting funny. and seeing as though the cycle of velvet is so quick my opinion is if any of the fish had it they would have been dead by now again this is my opinion and my way of running QT. i never ran a QT before this incident with velvet and my first time dealing with it its a very nasty parasite
That's probably how I got it too, or from coral.

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through ich right now which is why I ask. Honestly, I don’t know but I’m sure there are many threads on it so if you haven’t already try searching it up
How did your ich thing end up? Do you QT your fish / inverts / corals?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back