Adding flame angelfish

BaseballRuyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a coral beauty in my mixed reef that's been in the tank for 2 weeks. I tried adding a flame angel today because I finally found one. The flame is smaller than the coral beauty. Initially they swam together for a few minutes. Then the coral beauty began to nip and chase the flame. Will this subside or should I return one of the fish? The tank is 100 gallons

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It normally takes a few days for the aggression to settle down when you add a new dwarf angel, though hopefully your flame has plenty of places to hide within the rockwork.

In my experience, I had a resident Coral Beauty that was an absolute terror to any new additions, angel or not. Always took 3-4 days for him to accept any new fish in his tank.

If anything, try the mirror trick to distract the CB away from the Flame, it won’t eliminate the aggression, but might give your Flame a break from constant bullying.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two is doable but keep it in the acclimation box for a few days or even a week as long as the box is appropriate size with a hiding spot.

OP
OP
BaseballRuyle

BaseballRuyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It normally takes a few days for the aggression to settle down when you add a new dwarf angel, though hopefully your flame has plenty of places to hide within the rockwork.

In my experience, I had a resident Coral Beauty that was an absolute terror to any new additions, angel or not. Always took 3-4 days for him to accept any new fish in his tank.

If anything, try the mirror trick to distract the CB away from the Flame, it won’t eliminate the aggression, but might give your Flame a break from constant bullying.
The cb will nip and then take off. Then comes back around. Same thing. Not vigorous chasing. But the flame isn't running away or moving from one side of the tank. I'm like hey dummy move and go hide in the rocks.

OP
OP
BaseballRuyle

BaseballRuyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two is doable but keep it in the acclimation box for a few days or even a week as long as the box is appropriate size with a hiding spot.
The box is like a breeders box. The Flame is small. The CB just doesn't even come up that high in the tank to even give a care about the box. He's only been in for 2 weeks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back