Adding Gem Tang?

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping for a few outside opinions, as the title states. I have the opportunity to buy a gem tang. Im happy with the price, and they have a few available from 2-3.5 inches.

My tank is about 2 years old, 175 gallon system with a 120 main display. My fish get along well, and I have low nitrate and phosphate. I also think my chromis and anthias act as dither fish.

Should I buy the Gem? And if so, what size do you recommend? Closer to the 2 inch mark or the 3.5?

I have the following fish:

• Blue Regal(Hippo) Tang - aprox 4 inches
  • Sailfin tang (2-3 inches)
  • Yellow mimic tang (2-3 inches)
  • 5 lyretail Anthias
  • 11 blue-green chromis
  • Mandarin
  • Orange back Wrasse
  • Purple fire fish

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much experience but I did try to put a gem tang in a tank with a scopus tang (not same as your sailfin) and my scopus immediately started attacking it with it's razor thing.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others on this. I have one that's about 4 in. Gorgeous fish to say the least! It's in my smaller 40g tank as opposed to the 280DT because of what the others have said. I have a yellow tang, dejardin sailfin tang, blonde naso tang, and tomini tang. The yellow and sailfin would have their way with it in seconds...

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my display tank. With 5 othet zebrasomas, here is my opinion on this fish in reef tank with lots of blue lights..... it's hard to see the true beauty of this fish in reef tank. You would have to turn your yellow lights more up to see her beutifull sides. But with blue lights like most of us use, I can't tell a difference between gem tang and purple tang standing 4 ft away from the tank.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping for a few outside opinions, as the title states. I have the opportunity to buy a gem tang. Im happy with the price, and they have a few available from 2-3.5 inches.

My tank is about 2 years old, 175 gallon system with a 120 main display. My fish get along well, and I have low nitrate and phosphate. I also think my chromis and anthias act as dither fish.

Should I buy the Gem? And if so, what size do you recommend? Closer to the 2 inch mark or the 3.5?

I have the following fish:

• Blue Regal(Hippo) Tang - aprox 4 inches
  • Sailfin tang (2-3 inches)
  • Yellow mimic tang (2-3 inches)
  • 5 lyretail Anthias
  • 11 blue-green chromis
  • Mandarin
  • Orange back Wrasse
  • Purple fire fish
I added my gem tang in a tank that had a vlamingi tang, unicorn tang , black tang , purple tang and a sail fin tang, blue tang ( basically a bunch of tangs )… the only tang that showed aggression towards him was the black tang … took the black tang and put him in the sump for a few days .. once my gem tang settled in and choose his cave I put him back and it has been equal aggression since then for 8 months now with everyone happy .. just my two cents and my luck I guess .. good luck and beautiful fish to own

situming123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of tangs and waiting my black tang for deliver.

Attachments

• 6953C368-8F7D-45D6-8F56-522AA8FF59AE.MOV
    91.2 MB
OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love Gems but I think it may be a big risk with 3 established tangs in the tank. Just my opinion, best of luck to you :)

Thank you and others for the advice - I decided against the purchase as I already have three tangs. Not worth it. Especially since my fish are getting along well (knock on wood lol)

situming123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and others for the advice - I decided against the purchase as I already have three tangs. Not worth it. Especially since my fish are getting along well (knock on wood lol)
that really depend on how luck you are. I add each of tang in different timing. they do fight a bit, just a bit like few hours. so i dont have problem with that. after the 1st few hours they introduce themselves, they get along well.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a risk but have a plan and backup plan. Use an acclimation box and have a trap ready if needed. And yes a gem is worth it to me. Here is some enabling
A977645E-B673-4B8E-BA40-D959A5929580.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back