Maroon before or after tangs

Pablo1102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting close to adding 4 tangs and a one spot Foxface in my 180. A mimic, hippo, white tail bristletooth and a sailfin. Should I add my gold stripe maroon clown before or after the tang gang goes in? All tangs will be between 3 and 3 1/2 inches. My maroon is currently alone in a smaller tank and is around 3 inches.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably doesn't matter since the maroon will decide which part of the tank she wants and that will be that. I had a gold strip pair a few years ago. This was a 6ft 150g and she ended up staking claim to almost half of the tank. She would even tear coral off her rocks when I tried glueing some down. Cool fish but I like my coral too so I re homed them. I had tangs in the tank also but they just stayed out of her way.

OP
OP
Pablo1102

Pablo1102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably doesn't matter since the maroon will decide which part of the tank she wants and that will be that. I had a gold strip pair a few years ago. This was a 6ft 150g and she ended up staking claim to almost half of the tank. She would even tear coral off her rocks when I tried glueing some down. Cool fish but I like my coral too so I re homed them. I had tangs in the tank also but they just stayed out of her way.
Appreciate your feedback

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroons have never had any trouble with tangs. Don’t think it would matter which is first

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two maroons in my 40 gallon. They are tiny. The little girl ATTACKS the feeding tongs. I have three RBTAs in that tank. She has claimed 2 of them and allows the boy to be close to the third. And again… she is tiny, about half an inch right now. I wish I’d known before getting them how territorial they would be. I’ve had regular ocellaris in the past and they’re nowhere near as thorny.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two maroons in my 40 gallon. They are tiny. The little girl ATTACKS the feeding tongs. I have three RBTAs in that tank. She has claimed 2 of them and allows the boy to be close to the third. And again… she is tiny, about half an inch right now. I wish I’d known before getting them how territorial they would be. I’ve had regular ocellaris in the past and they’re nowhere near as thorny.
I absolutely need pictures of a half-inch maroon clown. She's already acting like a female at that size?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely need pictures of a half-inch maroon clown. She's already acting like a female at that size?
C67C19DD-BB70-4A32-BAD2-D68B2EF8264D.jpeg

She’s between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. The boy is 2/3 her size. She is DEFINITELY acting like a female. If she sees my hand outside the tank she tries to charge at the glass. I think it’s funny because she hasn’t bitten me yet; I am sure it’ll happen some time soon.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C67C19DD-BB70-4A32-BAD2-D68B2EF8264D.jpeg

She’s between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. The boy is 2/3 her size. She is DEFINITELY acting like a female. If she sees my hand outside the tank she tries to charge at the glass. I think it’s funny because she hasn’t bitten me yet; I am sure it’ll happen some time soon.
17296361-4541-4EB9-ABBB-59DD9FAF5668.jpeg

Pic under whites.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aw, lookit her! Getting a head start on this thing, and I'd wager before she's even big enough to develop all the associated organs properly. She's gonna be an unholy terror when she gets big.

But yeah, OP, maroons go in after everything else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I’m getting close to adding 4 tangs and a one spot Foxface in my 180. A mimic, hippo, white tail bristletooth and a sailfin. Should I add my gold stripe maroon clown before or after the tang gang goes in? All tangs will be between 3 and 3 1/2 inches. My maroon is currently alone in a smaller tank and is around 3 inches.
After if you will want them. They are very territorial and have teeth and will use them. They in time will bite your hand and move rocks around to their liking

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, lookit her! Getting a head start on this thing, and I'd wager before she's even big enough to develop all the associated organs properly. She's gonna be an unholy terror when she gets big.

But yeah, OP, maroons go in after everything else.
She’s very cute. They were an impulse buy. My local Petco is going out of business and they were deeply discounted, I had my 40 gallon with just coral and no fish and they were soooooooo adorable… I honestly did not really think about the fact that they were maroons till I got home and tried to feed them. My other fish took a while to get comfortable enough to come close to my hand during feedings. She just charged at it. Very gutsy little fish for sure!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s very cute. They were an impulse buy. My local Petco is going out of business and they were deeply discounted, I had my 40 gallon with just coral and no fish and they were soooooooo adorable… I honestly did not really think about the fact that they were maroons till I got home and tried to feed them. My other fish took a while to get comfortable enough to come close to my hand during feedings. She just charged at it. Very gutsy little fish for sure!
Mine were from petco also. Not sure you have a female yet though at that size. My maroons have been model citizens . The female is 11 years old and almost 4”

Attachments

• 24483CA1-330C-4CB0-B82B-C4EE06CB94C7.png
    24483CA1-330C-4CB0-B82B-C4EE06CB94C7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back