Adding more tangs of the same species

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2019
Messages
2,891
Reaction score
6,768
Location
Southeast USA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a 125g lightly stocked FOWLR aquarium that currently houses a 4 inch chocolate tang and a foxface (and other non-grazers). The chocolate tang has been in the tank for about 6 years, and used to live with a scopas and sailfin tang before I lost those two to disease.

I would really love to add more chocolates to have 3 tangs again. I've heard that adding multiple at once can help ease the aggression, but I also know that Acanthurus are quite territorial fish so it could be risky. I recently scrambled up the rockwork while treating some bubble algae, so I feel like the time to act is upon me if I want to try since there's some new turf to claim.

So what are your thoughts? Worth a shot or too much trouble? I'd happily get a different set of tangs if the conspecifics don't end up working out, but a little mini school (or as close as I can get in such a tank) would be awesome :)
 
Well nevermind, upon further research it appears they are naturally solitary. I don't know how that one slipped past my initial round of googling, but I'm glad I found it now and not later!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new