Tangs in Singles or Trios?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
573
Reaction score
529
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my thought is that you really can keep just about any tang with another of the same species, given the proper accommodations. The most important thing is tank size. In my experience, it is always best to keep either 1 or 3, and not 2 of a particular species. I'm not sure where I learned that but my best guess is that adding the 2 extras, takes the animosity off of just having 2. I've also learned that it is easiest to have multiple tangs in a tank when they are all added at the same time. It is incredibly difficult to keep a new addition safe since tangs tend to be so territorial.

Can you share your sentiments on this topic please? Do you agree with my opinion or not, and what tips or tricks can you share on successfully keeping multiples?

Bonus points if you want to touch on the hot topic of keeping multiple angelfish HA!
 
I have 4 yellows that hang out as a group feeding off the rocks. Three biota babies were the first fish in the new 330g tank and in brought the others over one at a time including a large purple and a wild yellow. They all get along great so far after 3 years.
PXL_20240413_165842876.jpg


PXL_20260802_185143549.MP.jpg


EDIT. Previously in my 180 I tried two wild yellows. They ignored each other in QT with a divider but soon after being added to the DT one turned on the other and I moved the one being attacked to a different tank. It now hangs out with a two spot bristletooth.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new