Adding HOB OverFlow Box Safety Measures

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since everyone is answering your actual question, what is the goal here? Are you adding a sump to add a skimmer, refugium, extra volume?

Those over the side overflows make me very nervous lol. I think I would just get a new tank and drill it appropriately but that's just me.

Turning an All In One into a sumped tank sounds like it's going to be a Frankentank that may or may not work well. I know if it were me I wouldn't be satisfied and would be upgrading again. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everyone is answering your actual question, what is the goal here? Are you adding a sump to add a skimmer, refugium, extra volume?

Those over the side overflows make me very nervous lol. I think I would just get a new tank and drill it appropriately but that's just me.

Turning an All In One into a sumped tank sounds like it's going to be a Frankentank that may or may not work well. I know if it were me I wouldn't be satisfied and would be upgrading again. Just something to think about.
My goal is to add a refugium to help with Algae and aptasia.

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your probably right and thanks for the help everyone!!! :). I think I will figure out my approach from here

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. The refugium won't help with the aiptasia. Couple options for that for your tank. Peppermint shrimp may help, Bergia Nudibranch, but my favorite option is Sodium Hydroxide added to water and injected into the aiptasia with a hypodermic needle & syringe. It dissolves them right in place. There's a great video by Reef Builders on YouTube.

As for the algae, the refugium may or may not help with it. Do you have hair algae by chance? I was just dealing with this myself. Is this your first tank?

If you just want to experiment and play with equipment, you're welcome to tell me to shut up- I just wanted to make sure you were pursuing a sump for the right reasons.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your probably right and thanks for the help everyone!!! :). I think I will figure out my approach from here
No problem, I have had plenty of ideas that I needed someone else to just say "Dude, but why?"

Feel free to ask more questions or even make a new thread if needed-these forums are really helpful. Best of luck!

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The refugium won't help with the aiptasia. Couple options for that for your tank. Peppermint shrimp may help, Bergia Nudibranch, but my favorite option is Sodium Hydroxide added to water and injected into the aiptasia with a hypodermic needle & syringe. It dissolves them right in place. There's a great video by Reef Builders on YouTube.

As for the algae, the refugium may or may not help with it. Do you have hair algae by chance? I was just dealing with this myself. Is this your first tank?

If you just want to experiment and play with equipment, you're welcome to tell me to shut up- I just wanted to make sure you were pursuing a sump for the right reasons.
I got a massive aptasia problem haha. I do have green hair algae. I am waiting to move my tank again to add Berghia. When I take out the aptasia it grows so fast it recovers right away so I think it’s more of a nutrient issue.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a massive aptasia problem haha. I do have green hair algae. I am waiting to move my tank again to add Berghia. When I take out the aptasia it grows so fast it recovers right away so I think it’s more of a nutrient issue.
Green hair algae…you just need to be ready to do work. Manual removal and dedication is what it take. It take weeks to months to go away, but it’s doable. What I did was slow down on feeding (this will help the aiptasia problem too) and once a week I would go into my tank and manually pull out as much as I can. Then pull out rocks and spray them with a little spray bottle full of 3% Peroxide (Walmart, dollar store, etc.) and scrub them with a toothbrush. The hair algae will be dissolved by the peroxide and it seems to take away the “root.” It won’t come back on that same rock for a while.

It literally did wonders in my tank. I was so annoyed by it. Now the only place I have it in my tank is deep between two rocks and on my overflow and I’m completely fine with it growing there because I just pull it out every two weeks or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back