Adding Life Rock to Established System

CF12Valve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to add a large piece of Caribsea Life Rock to my established 75 gallon tank. Has anyone done this and have you had any adverse effects from it? A small cycle shouldn’t be too terrible, but I don’t want it to upset anything. I have a mixed tank with a lot of LPS and SPS that I don’t want to lose.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am wanting to add a large piece of Caribsea Life Rock to my established 75 gallon tank. Has anyone done this and have you had any adverse effects from it? A small cycle shouldn’t be too terrible, but I don’t want it to upset anything. I have a mixed tank with a lot of LPS and SPS that I don’t want to lose.
Life rock is good and safe But offers no bacterial or buffering abilities

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only adverse effect is you'd have a completely blank piece of rock that algae will easily colonize before most other things do.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulfliverock.com imo

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to do the same thing. I need to add more rock to accommodate growing acropora. I put them close together not thinking ahead. Now there growing into each other. I keep my mini colonys on 4 inch disc's so they don't incrust on the base rock. It's easier to movie acropora around when they are not stuck to the base rock but they are getting too big. I need to spread them out. I purchased some of that carib sea tree rock where you get a acrylic stick and mount a bunch of rock to it. It's a cool system but I'm not sure if I want to dump an extra 30lbs of dry rock in my established sps tank . Supposedly you can just add the rock to the tank and it should be okay but that makes me nervous. Sps don't like changes. I'm well aware of that. Has anyone had experience with doing this successfully?

NicholasDRR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it several times with the Caribsea rock and have never had an adverse effects on two systems (A 1.5 year old 40 breeder and a 4 month old 80 gallon system. As what basically anyone will tell you, any spot is not already the purple color will be green before any coralline algae grows on it, but this will be the case when any rock.

NicholasDRR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to do the same thing. I need to add more rock to accommodate growing acropora. I put them close together not thinking ahead. Now there growing into each other. I keep my mini colonys on 4 inch disc's so they don't incrust on the base rock. It's easier to movie acropora around when they are not stuck to the base rock but they are getting too big. I need to spread them out. I purchased some of that carib sea tree rock where you get a acrylic stick and mount a bunch of rock to it. It's a cool system but I'm not sure if I want to dump an extra 30lbs of dry rock in my established sps tank . Supposedly you can just add the rock to the tank and it should be okay but that makes me nervous. Sps don't like changes. I'm well aware of that. Has anyone had experience with doing this successfully?
I've added the rock before but only the pieces already put together or were just one piece. If you have to build it the glue might make your skimmer go nuts for a few days but it won't make your parameters swing. The only time this would happen is if you were taking 30 lbs. of live rock out and swapping it with the
new dry rock that doesn't have the beneficial bacterial supporting your bio-load.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added the rock before but only the pieces already put together or were just one piece. If you have to build it the glue might make your skimmer go nuts for a few days but it won't make your parameters swing. The only time this would happen is if you were taking 30 lbs. of live rock out and swapping it with the
new dry rock that doesn't have the beneficial bacterial supporting your bio-load.
Yea im not taking any rock out of the system. Just adding about 10lbs . I'll probably turn off the skimmer for a few hours at least at first. Probably add 10mls a day of microbacter 7 and see what happens. Hopefully I don't tick off my corals

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's possible that piece will go through a bit of an ugly phase before it settles in.

Can you put it in the sump for a month or so to colonise it before it gets hit with light?

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's possible that piece will go through a bit of an ugly phase before it settles in.

Can you put it in the sump for a month or so to colonise it before it gets hit with light?
My sump is kinda stuffed already. The skimmer a couple reactors . If I can stuff it in there somehow the rock probably wouldn't be completely submerged under water. I wonder if that matters ?

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is kinda stuffed already. The skimmer a couple reactors . If I can stuff it in there somehow the rock probably wouldn't be completely submerged under water. I wonder if that matters ?
Save 5 or 10 gallons from your next water change and store the rock heated for a month or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back