Adding liquid coral food question

PristineReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you all add liquid coral food like reef roids, red sea ab+, etc, do you remove your filter socks? Turn off pumps? Turn off protein skimmer? Lmk in the comments because I find that when I dose red sea ab+ my filter socks gets very dirty it seams. I change my sock daily as it gets dirty that fast. Thank you all for your responses!

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you all add liquid coral food like reef roids, red sea ab+, etc, do you remove your filter socks? Turn off pumps? Turn off protein skimmer? Lmk in the comments because I find that when I dose red sea ab+ my filter socks gets very dirty it seams. I change my sock daily as it gets dirty that fast. Thank you all for your responses!
I followed this guys advice for my sun coral and it’s going great. Good luck!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With having hundreds of zoas palys, my target feeding is daily.

I absolutely turn off all water movement and wait 5 mins, then start dosing a liquid puree of mussels, brine and reefroids..... ran thru a blender for 5mins and stored in fridge. I make enough to be refrigerated for just less than a month.

I actually use the "trickle down" method.... meaning with water completely still, I dose my liquid mush about 1 inch under the waterline AIMING for the fallout to sprinkle the food right down on top of the zoas palys. Whatever the fish eat as it trickles down is a benefit too.

REASON FOR TRICKLE DOWN? I've tried to slowly squirting my pureed mix up close to zoas and they just get irritated and close up. That's mostly not a sign they're eating. The eating response I'm looking for is their mouths to be protruded like they're forming kissing lips. Only way I know how to trigger that response is this trickle down from above method.

I allow this trickle down to go on for 1 hour of completely still water. After thst socks and skimmer take over. I WANT extra food to be OUT of the tank within 3 hours.

For direct fish feeding,, later in the day full on Spectrum pellets as their main feed. My goal with spectrum is to stand there and add pinches of Spectrum so the fish eat as its falling and not but a few morsels hits the bottom of the tank. That takes about 5 mins of standing there managing pinches of pellets. Also a good way to interact with the fish and they know who Pappa is who brings the food! Lol

So I feed quite heavy but don't have an Algea problem bc I dose nightly a good amount of Tetraselmis Phyto. These lil phyto guys are like lil PacMen that gobble up the daily excess nutrients.

HTH someone

Last edited:
Back