Adding live sand to 2 year old reef

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all so my tanks about 2 years old now I’ve been having phosphate issues which have caused major algae issues

i had phosphates at .92 which i finally reduced with gfo to bring it down to .16
The red / green cyano looking algae finally started going away completely i also siphoned it off the sand bed

during which. I took out a lot of my sand wanted to add 40lb of sand back into the tank without causing a major issue

i was told my local fish store to buy live sand rinse it alittle with my tank water in a bucket pour water out then put sand into the tank with the little bacteria packets it comes with it andi. Should be good also adding some prime into the tank to help stabilize think this will work?!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That is probably a good way to go. Another method that is maybe not real fun, but if you have help, you can get a big funnel and a 3/4-1” vinyl hose and pour it through so they it gets to the bottom without a lot of suspension. Maybe pull extra tank water to pour through along with the sand to help it run smoothly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back