Adding Macros

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking into adding macros to my fowlr that’s been running for a few months now. How difficult would it be to add in differing macro species? I know people normally only add one kind, chaeto/etc, as a means of nutrient export but I was thinking of adding it to my DT to provide some form and function as I can’t run corals.

I’ve mainly been looking into things like dragon’s breath and something like ulva as well. Mainly ones that would be easy to keep but also are pleasing to the eye. Would there be any things that I would need to look out for when I do add in macros (besides the fish picking at them)?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking into adding macros to my fowlr that’s been running for a few months now. How difficult would it be to add in differing macro species? I know people normally only add one kind, chaeto/etc, as a means of nutrient export but I was thinking of adding it to my DT to provide some form and function as I can’t run corals.

I’ve mainly been looking into things like dragon’s breath and something like ulva as well. Mainly ones that would be easy to keep but also are pleasing to the eye. Would there be any things that I would need to look out for when I do add in macros (besides the fish picking at them)?
Do you got tangs in the FOWLR?

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy dragons breath for my display for a variety, and the LFS informed me that tangs will decimate macros especially dragons breath.
I also wouldn’t mind the (eventual) tang going for the macro since it’ll help vary their diet. Are there any other things I should look out for in terms of keeping the macros healthy/growing?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wouldn’t mind the (eventual) tang going for the macro since it’ll help vary their diet. Are there any other things I should look out for in terms of keeping the macros healthy/growing?
I’m not sure to much on this as I haven’t experimented with any yet. From what I understand if you can keep Xenia, you can keep Marco algae.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs (blue line coral out of Illinois) grows some of the most vibrant red orange dragons breath and it’s like 30 bucks for a small bag packed full! Want to buy it and put it in my nano tank or something just because of the color and the difference of it. If you do get some make sure to post it and tag me!

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my recommendation
Buy a red, green or seasonal sampler.

I never had issues in growing them. As long you have fish poop and light they should thrive.

Edit:
Some calcareous algaes like mermaid fan, shaving brush and others are a little bit more difficult to keep, because they need more attention to parameters. In mine thank they never grow much until they were eaten.
Be aware that emerald crabs will eat everything they see in front of them - not limited to bubble algaes as always advertised.
I got one crab to deal with the bubbles algaes and he did eat them and all other nice algaes too.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs (blue line coral out of Illinois) grows some of the most vibrant red orange dragons breath and it’s like 30 bucks for a small bag packed full! Want to buy it and put it in my nano tank or something just because of the color and the difference of it. If you do get some make sure to post it and tag me!
My dream would be a nicely colored dragon’s breath and something blue like hypnea for some nice contrast!

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my recommendation
Buy a red, green or seasonal sampler.

I never had issues in growing them. As long you have fish poop and light they should thrive.

Edit:
Some calcareous algaes like mermaid fan, shaving brush and others are a little bit more difficult to keep, because they need more attention to parameters. In mine thank they never grow much until they were eaten.
Be aware that emerald crabs will eat everything they see in front of them - not limited to bubble algaes as always advertised.
I got one crab to deal with the bubbles algaes and he did eat them and all other nice algaes too.
I’ll look into em, thanks!

In theory if I add in the macros early enough before the appearance of things like bubble algae then they should outcompete them, right?

My light is also just a stock led that came with the tank, so I’m unsure/doubtful that it’s offering everything that would enable the best growth. Or would that kinda light be good enough?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like Botrycladia, which looks absolutely great when it starts to fill in. Pom pom gracilaria grows nice and bushy. Galaxaura is also an excellent calcarious macro if you can find it--looks amazing, but has real difficutly being smothered by nuisance algae or ulva.

Problem with all of these in a DT with herbivores is that they will decimate your macros all the way down to stubs. If you have turbo snails, they will knock over and eat the Botrycladia (even trochus snails will inadvertently climb the stalk of the Botry and knock it off). Urchins will destroy them. I've never had tangs or a foxface, but I think they would make quick work of any edible macros, leaving you with only the most calcarious species like mermaid's fans and maybe Halimeda (??? no idea, haven't had tangs).

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into em, thanks!

In theory if I add in the macros early enough before the appearance of things like bubble algae then they should outcompete them, right?

My light is also just a stock led that came with the tank, so I’m unsure/doubtful that it’s offering everything that would enable the best growth. Or would that kinda light be good enough?
What lights / tank do you have? IMO you don't need anything fancy for lighting...

Bubble algae can hitchhike in the other algaes, frags plugs, cuc.. at least to my knowledge there is no way to "outcompete" bubbles algaes.
In a nutrient rich environment, every algae will grow If it was introduced somehow in the tank, even if in a tiny microscopical piece, it will be there and it will eat nutrients like all others.

I bought weeks ago a Duncan frag.
Now guess what, I have a little bush of sea lettuce lol

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like Botrycladia, which looks absolutely great when it starts to fill in. Pom pom gracilaria grows nice and bushy. Galaxaura is also an excellent calcarious macro if you can find it--looks amazing, but has real difficutly being smothered by nuisance algae or ulva.

Problem with all of these in a DT with herbivores is that they will decimate your macros all the way down to stubs. If you have turbo snails, they will knock over and eat the Botrycladia (even trochus snails will inadvertently climb the stalk of the Botry and knock it off). Urchins will destroy them. I've never had tangs or a foxface, but I think they would make quick work of any edible macros, leaving you with only the most calcarious species like mermaid's fans and maybe Halimeda (??? no idea, haven't had tangs).

At the moment I don't have any snails as I've only have very minor problems with algae growth. The pods in the system seem to take care of any growth on the glass for the most part and the rocks haven't really had any on them as well save some small areas.

What lights / tank do you have? IMO you don't need anything fancy for lighting...

It's the stock LED from the TopFin 125 gallon that came with the tank. From what I could find it doesn't provide the full spectrum, it's pretty much just a white strip light

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wont the tangs decimate the macros pretty quickly? Also, in my experience emerald crabs will eat through macros rather quickly.
At the moment I have neither in the tank, and the tang is largely dependent on if I am able to catch a ~2" yellow tang but that's way down the line.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to light spectrum for macro, I find most macro prefers daylight spectrum with the exception of Bortacladia, which is collected in 30’-130’ of water.

Also, lower intensity light will slow down explosive growrgth of green macros like Caulerpa Prolifera & Caulerpa Paspoidies, my favorite feather Caulerpa. In the red macros, I prefer Gracilaria Hayi or Gracilaria Paspoidies, which is Red Ogo.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add to the caution that if you have fish that eat algae, they will often decimate macroalgae. It's hard to teach them the difference between algae you want and algae you do not want. lol

I like the look of macroalgae very much, but I used it from my refugium to feed fish in the display because they loved it, and it was free and fresh. :)

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you currently have? I dont think your lights are going to be enough for most macros unfortunately.
Currently I have:

2 clowns
Yellow longnose butterfly
Threadfin butterfly
Firefish goby
Flame angel
3 banggai cardinals
McCosker’s wrasse
Royal gramma

So nothing that would really go to town on macros I think. I guess I have to do some upgrading on my lights though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back