Adding Magnesium to TM Balling ABC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus

I know I can add trace element K+ to Balling A and A- to Balling B. Balling C is to balance the NaCl residue from consumption of A & B.

But what if I need to add Mg to compensate the Mg uptake by corals? Can I mix Mg to any of the balling A, B or C for dosing? Any recommendation for initial proportion?

Thanks in advanced!

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the TM website, Part C is pretty much mostly Mg plus a small amount of K (and maybe very small amounts of trace elements).

Edit, so just increase the daily dose of part C to increase Mg concentration or or if K rising too fast from doing this, you can add MgCl to Part A(which is the the calcium chloride component).

Firedawg1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C has magnesium in it but if you are consuming quite a bit, you could dose it separately if you wanted. I dose brightwell magnesion. My montipora suck it up

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium may be added to Original Balling Part C without problems if you have a high magnesium consumption in your tank.
For most tanks the magnesium concentration of Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt is high enough, so partial water changes are able to compensate for magnesium consumption in most tanks. Magnesium consumption of corals seem to be negligible, magnesium consumption of coralline algae is a little bit higher.

OP
OP
R

reef3reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies! So I can mix Mg to TM Balling C with no problem. That's what I am going to do.

Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium may be added to Original Balling Part C without problems if you have a high magnesium consumption in your tank.
For most tanks the magnesium concentration of Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt is high enough, so partial water changes are able to compensate for magnesium consumption in most tanks. Magnesium consumption of corals seem to be negligible, magnesium consumption of coralline algae is a little bit higher.

My goal is not have to do water change, unless ICP indicates issues that cannot be fixed otherwise. So it's essential for me to have everything in my dosing regime and be able to keep levels stable.

I have been using ESV Bionic 2 parts + Redsea trace elements, with no water change. Things seem to be doing OK. But could be better. Now I decided to switch to a true balling due to the production lapse of ESV.

With TM Balling I will have 3 solutions, leaving the 4th dosing head for carbon dosing (currently using Nopox).

Balling A with K+
Balling B with A-
Balling C with extra MgCl

I might need to dose extra Fe and Iodine because of the Chaeto.

Does it sound like a plausible plan? Do you see any missing or possible issue?

Edit: Salinity balance will be mainly accomplished by skimmate export and RODI top off.

Last edited:

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your current magnesium value and how much are you consuming per day such that you need to adjust?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back