Help with Balling + A K Elements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching @Lou Ekus on BRS talking about the balling method. Like a lot of people I was surprised to learn it's not actually supplementing trace elements.

If I were using the TM balling method, could I add A- to my part 1 and K+ to my part 2? And if so how would I go about determining the amounts to add?

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching @Lou Ekus on BRS talking about the balling method. Like a lot of people I was surprised to learn it's not actually supplementing trace elements.

If I were using the TM balling method, could I add A- to my part 1 and K+ to my part 2? And if so how would I go about determining the amounts to add?

I currently use the Balling method ( A,B & C ) AND i also add A & K ON A separate dosing pump and i just follow the dosing requirements on the bottles for your volume of water ... if you want after a few months of doing this you can send a water sample out to see where your at . i run a DD300 SPS dominated and this has been working for me so far .

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! However, I understood A and K were separate because they can't be mixed. When you say you run them on a separate doser do you mean 2 separate dosers?

I guess this is why I was asking if you can add A to part 1 and K to part 2 because otherwise, yeah I'm looking at 5 containers and 5 dosing heads. I only have 4 ft tank so space is at a premium. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! However, I understood A and K were separate because they can't be mixed. When you say you run them on a separate doser do you mean 2 separate dosers?

I guess this is why I was asking if you can add A to part 1 and K to part 2 because otherwise, yeah I'm looking at 5 containers and 5 dosing heads. I only have 4 ft tank so space is at a premium. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I am not a chemist by any means but i would have to think that because these are only trace elements ( A & k ) they should be OK to add to your Alk and Calc. containers ......however this may not work in the long run ? . These elements get dosed based on your TWV ( total water volume ) ans some elements get used or absorbed quicker than others .

So if your container holds enough solution for say a month , you have to add 10ml daily of each A & K ... that's 300ml added to each container but now your dosing say 70ml of Alk daily your not sure how much of A or K is actually being added daily and some of the elements might build up quickly and create issues and the same with however much Calc. your dosing daily ? Just my thinking on this but i have a large tank and a TWV of roughly 425 gallons and im only adding 16ml of each A&K , now i have extra heads available to just add these to my dosing pump however unless your having to add a butt load of each of these it wouldnt be much time to fill the cap of each and just manually dump these in ?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You add A to your alkalinity and K to your calcium. BRS has instructions on their site under the BRS balling hybrid method. Tells you how much to add depending on demand.

I’ve been running this for 9 months now. Each ICP test has come back nearly spot on for me

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You add A to your alkalinity and K to your calcium. BRS has instructions on their site under the BRS balling hybrid method. Tells you how much to add depending on demand.

I’ve been running this for 9 months now. Each ICP test has come back nearly spot on for me
Are you dosing anything else other than just the TM A & K elements ? and are you also dosing 2 part ?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you dosing anything else other than just the TM A & K elements ? and are you also dosing 2 part ?

I run the BRS hybrid method. I use BRS soda ash with TM A elements added at 80ml/gallon of solution, BRS calcium with TM K elements added at 80ml/gallon, and then TM Part C.

I also dose 1800ml of kalkwasser solution daily. 4 dosing pumps and super solid results

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lou also notes this in the video with Ryan.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the BRS hybrid method. I use BRS soda ash with TM A elements added at 80ml/gallon of solution, BRS calcium with TM K elements added at 80ml/gallon, and then TM Part C.

I also dose 1800ml of kalkwasser solution daily. 4 dosing pumps and super solid results
NICE ! Thank you for the info , i run straight TM balling A,B &C and add Trace A & Trace K plus fluoride on separate pumps .... i add roughly 4,000 ml of Kalkwasser daily thru a reactori have not sent out an ICP recently to see where im at but so far i think its working ?

Attachments

• Newest 300 pic #1.jpg
    Newest 300 pic #1.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Newest 300 pic #2.jpg
    Newest 300 pic #2.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Newest pic # 3.jpg
    Newest pic # 3.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 55

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NICE ! Thank you for the info , i run straight TM balling A,B &C and add Trace A & Trace K plus fluoride on separate pumps .... i add roughly 4,000 ml of Kalkwasser daily thru a reactori have not sent out an ICP recently to see where im at but so far i think its working ?

:grinning-squinting-face: Yeah it’s working.

Yep TM balling or BRS balling works well. I like adding A and K to my 2 part for less dosing pumps

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for my late reply due to company holidays. As I see it the question was already answered. I just want to confirm and add the ratios for our Original Balling.

You can add 5 % of K+ Elements to Original Balling Part A (5 % of solution = 50 ml per liter) and 5 % of A- Elements to Original Balling Part B.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my late reply due to company holidays. As I see it the question was already answered. I just want to confirm and add the ratios for our Original Balling.

You can add 5 % of K+ Elements to Original Balling Part A (5 % of solution = 50 ml per liter) and 5 % of A- Elements to Original Balling Part B.
Thanks @Hans-Werner it's very admirable you take time out of your day to answer customer questions. The support and care for your products is one of the reasons I chose Tropic Marin for a lot of my reefing needs. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back