Adding more dry rock to a tank whilst it's cycling

Spyro_UK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Brand new reefer here. Months researching but only a week or so into keeping rocks and salt water...

Just over a week ago I took the plunge and bought tank, live sand, heater, Dr tims, pumps etc etc.

I had an idea in my head on how I wanted to set out my aquascape but my LFS didn't have enough dry rock to accommodate it. I bought 2/3rds of what I needed and built the base. Put the sand and water in and let the clouding settle... then got a little impatient and started the cycle with Dr Tims and I'm on my second dose of ammonia after the bacteria has started to convert.

My LFS has now had another delivery of dry rock and I want to finish off my scape. I know you are OK adding dry rock to an established tank...

But my question is:
Am I OK to rinse all the dry rock in RODI and add it to the tank mid cycle without it stalling or interrupting anything? And if so, should I add more bacteria to let it settle on the new rockwork? Or am I best to let the cycle complete and add it in later?

Thanks in advance!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Brand new reefer here. Months researching but only a week or so into keeping rocks and salt water...

Just over a week ago I took the plunge and bought tank, live sand, heater, Dr tims, pumps etc etc.

I had an idea in my head on how I wanted to set out my aquascape but my LFS didn't have enough dry rock to accommodate it. I bought 2/3rds of what I needed and built the base. Put the sand and water in and let the clouding settle... then got a little impatient and started the cycle with Dr Tims and I'm on my second dose of ammonia after the bacteria has started to convert.

My LFS has now had another delivery of dry rock and I want to finish off my scape. I know you are OK adding dry rock to an established tank...

But my question is:
Am I OK to rinse all the dry rock in RODI and add it to the tank mid cycle without it stalling or interrupting anything? And if so, should I add more bacteria to let it settle on the new rockwork? Or am I best to let the cycle complete and add it in later?

Thanks in advance!
Go ahead and add it. The bacteria won’t mind.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back