Adding more sand to established tank

Skippy The Meh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2023
Messages
333
Reaction score
233
Location
Portland, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since i set my new tank up about a year ago i have never achieved crystal white sand as i have grown accustomed to in my other reef tanks. I used a thinner sand bed than normal and i am considering adding more sand in hopes it helps the issue.

My questions are, if i do this, is the best method adding a couple cup fulls periodically or just putting in all at once? Is this a bad idea that will lead to an algae out break? How can i avoid issues?
 
Do you have animals moving the sand and cleaning it ? I would guess more sand will eventually look the same as the thinner sand bad, as whatever covered or settled on your sand will do so on the higher sand bed as well.

In my smaller tank I cleaned the sand while water hanging to keep it more clean. With the new larger one I will add some conches and have a look how much I still need to do manually. Heard conches keep sand looking more nice and white
 
Live or dry doesn't matter, there is minimal good bacteria (unless you get TB)
Since you have an established tank you have enough good bacteria.
 
Thanks! I hadnt ever noticed a visible difference between the 2
All the live sand I've used and seen has crushed shells and other stuff in it, it does look natural, but it is not remotely white IME.
 
Ive added sand (same brand and type) to my est tank, think it was a couple of cups. no issues.
It'll get a bit cloudy for couple of hours. as mentioned above, use a pipe and pour the sand in.
After few weeks, the new and the old sand will blend in nicely.
 
Should i go for live sand or dry sand?
Live sand needs to be rinsed if you don't wanted the mess. It will cloud the water as bad as rinsed dry sand so I buy dry. I bought my live before because it was on sale but I rinsed it and it was filthy.
 
I love the aquaforest sand they came out with. Mine has spots obviously where flow is a little lighter but overall it looks amazing. Plenty of cleanup crew and two strawberry conches keep it looking nice
 
Since i set my new tank up about a year ago i have never achieved crystal white sand as i have grown accustomed to in my other reef tanks. I used a thinner sand bed than normal and i am considering adding more sand in hopes it helps the issue.

My questions are, if i do this, is the best method adding a couple cup fulls periodically or just putting in all at once? Is this a bad idea that will lead to an algae out break? How can i avoid issues?
I changed mine from fine to course a small amount at a time , and was pleased with the results , as long as there is no existing biological problem ( dynos ect )
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new