Adding new fish to an established tank woes

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know the answer but...
I have a 75 gal with a yellow tang, a percula clown, a green chromis, a royal gramma and an exquisite leopard wrasse. The fish are getting big as some have been in the tank over a year. I would like 2 flasher/fairy wrasses. I tried a McCoskers and a red fin recently and use an acclimation box. Both did really well and I opened up the lid after 4 days. They both hung around the box still for another day. The McCosker disappeared 1st - later to be found hiding and the red fin has been MIA for about 3 days.

Is my only real option to remove the fish and start over? I feel like all of the current inhabitants are suspect as they did show some aggression in the beginning. I did not witness the wrasses venture out on their own but I know they were eating well and stayed near the box for the 1st couple of days.

Maybe a melanarus would be easier? Something that can fend for itself.

Thoughts

Last edited:

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach* to adding fish that works about 95% of the time. Is to wait to add it till the lights go out. After the lights go out I set up towels over my tank to do a black out the same way I would if I were eating algae. Add the fish then and in 36-48 hours undo the black out when the lights are in their morning ramp up phase and feed the tank "treat food" e.x. frozen mysis or something to distract the residents. And then hope for the best.

*I try to be strategic in my stocking order but sometimes I just can't get the fish I want for many months and I don't want to wait to stock the tank.

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good idea. Thanks. I did re-arrange some of the rock the day I added them hoping to force some discomfort but not sure it did much. Could only move so much though.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have a full cover over your tank right? I have had flasher wrasse disappear for several weeks so dont give up yet.

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canopy and plastic webbing over the overflow and around the edges. I too have seen them disappear for a long time but it is hard to get just the right amount of color and movement when you want it. Patience is hard in this hobby :)

I knew at some point I would have to reset due to fish size. My tang and leopard are getting big. The tang has been a great utility fish so he will be hard to let go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back