Adding phytoplankton to a new tank?

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling for over a month with no light over it.
I choose to cycle with dry rock "shapes" and with dry sand.
I added Seachem Stability as per the instructions.
Testing ammonia with API it is very yellow but may have a tint of green "but I think it is how the test kit always shows"

To the question.
I want to add Pods to the tank so they can establish while there are no fish but read they are sensitive to ammonia, is this true?
Then thought about adding phytoplankton to the tank. Could my tank be to new or should I try a little phyto or both?
Anybody try or have any luck?

Thanks all.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia will probably kill your pods or prevent them to multiply. I would just wait untill your ammonia reads zero (nitrite not amazingly high). You can then add some pods and some phyto to make them spread. If I were you, I would just wait a bit longer untill it is cycled and you have some fish creating some detritus to please the pods.

Anyway if you want to try, feel free! Let us know the results. Definitely won’t crash your tank or stall the cycle.

reefguypnw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched phytoplankton and this current thread came up.

I have a similar question. My tank is 4 weeks old, my pods have already reproduced. I have an AIO 13.5g and have a refugium in chamber 1 with rock rubble, chaeto, and pods. When I purchased the refugium pack from aquariumdepot.com, it came with 16oz of phytoplankton. I have not put any in yet because I am unsure how much, how often, and effect it will have on my tank. Any help is appreciated.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys don’t over think the pods thing. A healthy nature reef tank will have tons and tons of pods. Adding them before to get a head start won’t do much imo. I never added a pod in my life and in my refugium if I pull a chunk of cheato out there will 100 and that’s only the ones large enough for my old eyes to see lol. Don’t stress it. I wouldn’t add phytoplankton to a new tank all it will do is cause your nutrients to go too high too fast. Especially if you dose too much.
Just be patient the pods will come

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters exactly? You say you're over 4 weeks in, but what tank size, water parameters?

I just cycled my rsr350 dry rock, live sand and at 1 week in, I added pods and macro algae.

Parameters at the time was ammonia .1, nitrite .25, nitrate 10.

I did, however, use dr Tim's one and only 4 oz And fritz turbostart 900 2 oz and seeded 4pom of ammonium chloride.

Today I see pods hiding in my macro, pod hotel, and blowing in my dt.

reefguypnw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my tank is 31 days old. Its a 13.5g evo. Parameters are ph-7.8, ammonia/ nitrite/nitrate-0. There's a link to my build a couple posts back.

I opened my Phytoplankton yesterday and it had a rotten smell. It's been sitting out since I received (3 weeks ago). I didn't know it needed to be refrigerated. I just dumped it out. So right now I'm doing nothing with phytoplankton. Want to learn more about it before I dose.

What are your parameters exactly? You say you're over 4 weeks in, but what tank size, water parameters?

I just cycled my rsr350 dry rock, live sand and at 1 week in, I added pods and macro algae.

Parameters at the time was ammonia .1, nitrite .25, nitrate 10.

I did, however, use dr Tim's one and only 4 oz And fritz turbostart 900 2 oz and seeded 4pom of ammonium chloride.

Today I see pods hiding in my macro, pod hotel, and blowing in my dt.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back