Adding Pods to Tank

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 FOWLR tank that just finished cycling a couple days ago, still waiting on my fish to finish quarantining and be delivered so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start seeding the tank with pods. I know they're great at keeping algae in check but with a tank that has very little algae in it at the moment would they be able to establish? Or do I wait a little bit until some growth starts to come in?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother yet, if ever. With a FOWLR system you don't need high lighting so you can, if you choose, keep lighting low and algae outbreaks at minimum.
On the other hand, depending on the fish you choose, you might want algae available to let them graze.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not until you see a film thick enough on the back glass and rock work.

Pictures would help.
I'll get a picture when I'm back from work, but there's definitely not a film on the back glass or rock work just yet.

I wouldn't bother yet, if ever. With a FOWLR system you don't need high lighting so you can, if you choose, keep lighting low and algae outbreaks at minimum.
On the other hand, depending on the fish you choose, you might want algae available to let them graze.
I was also thinking of having a stable supply of pods for the fish to snack on as well. A mandarin is also in the future plans so I wanted to see if I could get a head start that way. Once the fish are in I'm going to find that sweet spot of lighting that'll give me enough algae where the fish and pods can graze but not have it where it's overrunning the tank. If that's possible LOL

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• E0B0742B-4221-49B7-9FE4-7B00F6BEDACB.jpeg
    E0B0742B-4221-49B7-9FE4-7B00F6BEDACB.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 65

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the parameters are all in check you can add them. Be sure you wait just a little bit longer before adding them.
1)make sure the flow is off completely.
2)put them in when lights are off
3) pour the bottle of pods along all four corners best you can.
4) leave flow off for for an entire night.
5) next day morning turn ON all flow.
6) don’t scrape the glass for weeks until in start getting a very noticeable muck on them.
7) put a flashlight against the glass and sand on night 2 and you should see them all going at it on the glass like crazy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back