Adding probiotics to our water?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, he's my hypothesis. Larry at LRS adds probiotics to his frozen foods. It's added for fish immune systems. Makes sense, right? Loaded with good bacteria.

Okay, coral are animals too. So why not dose probiotics directly to our water for coral health?

Studies show coral respond well with treatment of probiotics when effected with RTN by researchers a marine scientists.

Why aren't we doing this?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good find!

It will have to be done with caution, as acknowledged in the article. A probiotic for one coral could still be a deadly pathogen for another.

Its good to see more avenues of research being carried out for coral conservation.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isn't that what Probiotic salt is all about as well?

In theory, yes but could there be a supplement developed that could be added that is specifically targeted with probiotics? Engineered specifically for coral?

What is probiotic for a fish may not be probiotic for a coral.

If it's added to fish food, this food is broadcast throughout the tank, if it could be potentially bad for coral, wouldn't we see it's effects?

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In theory, yes but could there be a supplement developed that could be added that is specifically targeted with probiotics? Engineered specifically for coral?

If it's added to fish food, this food is broadcast throughout the tank, if it could be potentially bad for coral, wouldn't we see it's effects?
You make a fair point but consider this. Probiotics we consume should only be found in the gut. If they make their way into an open wound they become dangerous.

It’s not black and white unfortunately. I really do hope that their research produces some results that trickle down to us reefers.
I will support anything that helps our reefs.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I know it seems I am a little harsh on probiotics in a reef but it’s coming from a position of “enthusiasm should be tempered with caution”

On that note, has anybody used the prodibio reekfit? I know melevesreef uses it with apparently great success. It is sold as a probiotic for a reef not necessarily a coral.

E612A063-72FE-4ACF-B9C5-9598932802B3.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, he's my hypothesis. Larry at LRS adds probiotics to his frozen foods. It's added for fish immune systems. Makes sense, right? Loaded with good bacteria.

Okay, coral are animals too. So why not dose probiotics directly to our water for coral health?

Studies show coral respond well with treatment of probiotics when effected with RTN by researchers a marine scientists.

I think if someone demonstrated clear benefits to a reef, more folks might add bacteria. I’ve never seen evidence of a benefit.That said, all fresh and frozen fish foods will have tons of bacteria in then, as dies real ocean water that I added fir that reason.

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if someone demonstrated clear benefits to a reef, more folks might add bacteria. I’ve never seen evidence of a benefit.That said, all fresh and frozen fish foods will have tons of bacteria in then, as dies real ocean water that I added fir that reason.

Wouldn’t the added bacteria help consume excess nitrates and phosphates?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW, I just noticed that Dr. Tim's Eco-Balance subtitle on the bottle is listed as "Multi-Strained Probiotic Bacteria".

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t the added bacteria help consume excess nitrates and phosphates?

Better than the bacteria already there? Reefs have plenty of bacteria, just not enough organic compounds to provide them energy for growth. That’s why organic carbon dosing works.

You might argue that one bacterial species is better than another, but is is a big stretch to assume one knows what is there or to assume others have better attributes.

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better than the bacteria already there? Reefs have plenty of bacteria, just not enough organic compounds to provide them energy for growth. That’s why organic carbon dosing works.

You might argue that one bacterial species is better than another, but is is a big stretch to assume one knows what is there or to assume others have better attributes.

what I mean is not better bacteria but more bacteria. for example aquaforest pro bio s and np pro your adding bacteria in addition to a food source for the bacteria to consume. Just to add more bacteria to consume n and p at a faster rate. I’m not buying into the fact that dr Tim’s has a “better” bacteria strain.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I mean is not better bacteria but more bacteria. for example aquaforest pro bio s and np pro your adding bacteria in addition to a food source for the bacteria to consume. Just to add more bacteria to consume n and p at a faster rate. I’m not buying into the fact that dr Tim’s has a “better” bacteria strain.

Adding more bacteria won’t make nitrate and phosphate decline faster if all the bacteria in the tank as a whole are organic carbon limited, as appears to be the case.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which bacteria are we talking about? Which bacteria in nature? Which bacteria in the products? What is a good bacteria? A bad one? Can good become bad? How many different species do we need? Who has actually performed controlled experiments on bacteria additions and shared the data? The skeptic aquarists are hanging back for a good reason. In general, probiotics for aquarium just hasn’t caught on like human probiotics.

U

User1

View Badges
Would, or wouldn't, feeding higher quality food do the same thing?

Also while I am not sure what the exact benefits are I used to bring back NSW from Monterey on my day diving trips. After the day of diving just throw in a pump and fill up 30 or so gallons. 4 drive home then store it in the garage and use it during the next water change. Can't say it did one thing good or bad but I recall my soft corals digging it. With our recent political landscape in our great state of Ca and water I've been considering doing this again with my current tank.

Food I believe I understand especially if it is something like LRS and IPSF. Water not sure what survives and I'm just using the water as it is or what is left.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many reefers add vinegar for bacteria benefits including me, also fish poop is natural probiotic so no worries

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back