Adding rock and sand after cycling tank

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but I want to start cycling my tank but I don’t have the rock and sand yet. I was hoping to wait til Black Friday to get it. Could I add my bio filtration to my tank and get it cycled right now and then add the rock and sand? That way, I can also order the fish during Black Friday because I will of had my tank already cycled

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the beneficial bacteria lives within the rocks which is what makes it "live rock". If you started with dry rock now, I doubt it would be cycled for livestock by black friday. I would advise you to take your time and go slow. Im sure youve heard this many times before...in our hobby, nothing good happens fast. If youre in this for the long haul pace yourself.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz bac is designed for instant fish in, so buy some of that, have it shipped cold, and insta cycle. Dr. Reef's thread shows its takes 24 hours for it to coat all surfaces and be immune to a full water change. It will handle instant bioload, that's why they charge out the wazoo for it.

the risk isnt lack of bac, its a fish disease protocol being foregone.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the beneficial bacteria lives within the rocks which is what makes it "live rock". If you started with dry rock now, I doubt it would be cycled for livestock by black friday. I would advise you to take your time and go slow. Im sure youve heard this many times before...in our hobby, nothing good happens fast. If youre in this for the long haul pace yourself.
I know the slow part. This isn’t my first tank. I guess I won’t get any Black Friday fish, but could I add water and the bio media now, get it cycled so there is all the bacteria stages present, and then add rock and sand? Or would adding rock and sand restart the cycle process?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...... but could I add water and the bio media now, get it cycled so there is all the bacteria stages present, and then add rock and sand? Or would adding rock and sand restart the cycle process?
Cycling a tank means to grow bacteria. You need something for the bacteria to live on. The rock and sand are its home. Without a home it will not live in your tank

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling a tank means to grow bacteria. You need something for the bacteria to live on. The rock and sand are its home. Without a home it will not live in your tank
But won’t the glass and bio media give them just enough of a home to complete the cycle before adding them a larger area to live?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass no but What type of bio media and how much?

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well actually about 10 lbs of live rock and add the rest of the dry later
And what size tank? If we’re talking about a 20g tank then you should be fine. But if you’re trying to start say a 120g then i would just wait.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what size tank? If we’re talking about a 20g tank then you should be fine. But if you’re trying to start say a 120g then i would just wait.
I’m doing a 40 breeder. But my question is if I start with say 10 lbs of live rock, can I add the rest of the dry rock and the sand after it has cycled or will it restart the cycle process?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good question. "Will ten pounds of cycled live rock support a fish?"
I don't know the answer.

I'd not expect die off from dry rock or dry sand that would lead to an ammonia spike.

On the other hand, I can only imagine that it would be a lot easier to rockscape and add sand to a tank that didn't already have a fish or three in it.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good question. "Will ten pounds of cycled live rock support a fish?"
I don't know the answer.

I'd not expect die off from dry rock or dry sand that would lead to an ammonia spike.

On the other hand, I can only imagine that it would be a lot easier to rockscape and add sand to a tank that didn't already have a fish or three in it.
No that is not what I’m asking. I’m not gonna add fish until all the rock and sand is in there. What I am asking is if I can get the cycle started with just a little live rock while I wait for my rock and sand to come because cycling can take a long time? This way, by the time the dry rock and sand come, I don’t have to wait all of that time for it to cycle

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bow out bc of less than perfect understanding. I'm sure you'll get a better explanation. I believe that the rock and sand is what cycles though. I don't think the tank or water is more than a small part of the equation. Live rock is already cycled. I'm not sure what's to be gained by having it sit in the tank by itself. For the bacteria to colonize the surfaces of the sand and rock, it has to be in there as well. Then the whole tank can be counted as cycled.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bow out bc of less than perfect understanding. I'm sure you'll get a better explanation. I believe that the rock and sand is what cycles though. I don't think the tank or water is more than a small part of the equation. Live rock is already cycled. I'm not sure what's to be gained by having it sit in the tank by itself. For the bacteria to colonize the surfaces of the sand and rock, it has to be in there as well. Then the whole tank can be counted as cycled.
Ok. When I add the live rock and sand, along with dry rock, should I dose a bacteria additive or is it unnecessary being that some of the rock is live?

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am understanding what you are asking..... you want to put the ~10lbs of live rock in now and cycle it in a 40g breeder, then add dry rock and sand later on down the road when the black Friday sale hits, right?
I would venture to say that when adding the new dry rock and sand, your tank has a higher probability of going into a mini cycle again. if it were me, I would either wait for the rock to come in, OR go through with your plan and use a bacteria in a bottle like Fritz or Seachem stability, those both work pretty fast, but I still would wait about 2 weeks before adding any livestock. i don't think the live rock being in there would be a reason not to add bacteria to the system. testing can be done to see where you are with ammonia and nitrate behaviors. make sure to follow the regimens on the label when you use the bacteria in a bottle.
just my 2 cents of info....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well actually about 10 lbs of live rock and add the rest of the dry later

That's would be useful to speed the process, but speed isn't always desirable.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am understanding what you are asking..... you want to put the ~10lbs of live rock in now and cycle it in a 40g breeder, then add dry rock and sand later on down the road when the black Friday sale hits, right?
I would venture to say that when adding the new dry rock and sand, your tank has a higher probability of going into a mini cycle again. if it were me, I would either wait for the rock to come in, OR go through with your plan and use a bacteria in a bottle like Fritz or Seachem stability, those both work pretty fast, but I still would wait about 2 weeks before adding any livestock. i don't think the live rock being in there would be a reason not to add bacteria to the system. testing can be done to see where you are with ammonia and nitrate behaviors. make sure to follow the regimens on the label when you use the bacteria in a bottle.
just my 2 cents of info....
Yes exactly. I will just wait until I can possibly get all the stuff for cheaper and do it at once

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. When I add the live rock and sand, along with dry rock, should I dose a bacteria additive or is it unnecessary being that some of the rock is live?
I'd add the in bac in a bottle as well. Can't hurt to have some diversity and for any dead rock/sand to get a head start. You don't need to though. Cycling with live and dry rock (which I also did) isn't as straightforward as going with all dry. It can be hard to get ammonia up (unless you dose the liquid stuff) bc the live rock will start processing it right away. Your numbers may look great within days. You just have to keep it in your head that the dry rock and sand will likely need a solid 3-4 weeks to catch up to the stuff that you bought wet.

Sorry I confused the issue earlier. Glad you got it worked out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back