Adding rock to an established system

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning.

I was planning on moving some things around and expanding my aquascape a bit, however last time I did this with dry rock, I had a bit of a algae spike for a few months so wanted to avoid that happening again. What is going to be the best route, using live rock? And if so, how much live rock can I add without it causing problems? Or, should I cure the live rock for a month in a bucket first?

Appreciate any help!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning.

I was planning on moving some things around and expanding my aquascape a bit, however last time I did this with dry rock, I had a bit of a algae spike for a few months so wanted to avoid that happening again. What is going to be the best route, using live rock? And if so, how much live rock can I add without it causing problems? Or, should I cure the live rock for a month in a bucket first?

Appreciate any help!

Adding live rock or do you mean dead rock?

Either way your going to want to cure it outside the tank if it is live rock.

If you mean dead rock cycling it outside the aquarium is best. You want to keep changing the water every couple of days till there is almost no measurable phosphates.

It can be done it Tubs or even a bucket if it is a small amount.

With actual live rock you will want to heat it and add circulation.

Last edited:

Axem_Black

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching this too since I'm in the same boat. If I buy some live rock from my lfs and put it in my established tank would it start another mini cycle?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back