Adding rock to established tank

Ag6594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 175 gallon tank that I recently set up with the rock from my well established 65 gallon aquarium before probably about 75 pounds. It has been up and running for a couple months now and all my coral and my 4 fish are happy and well. Now obviously 75 pounds of rock is nothing in a tank this size so half of my tank has no rock its just bare sand.

If I wanted to add another 100 pounds or so would I need to cycle that rock? Would it be ok if I add it with a bottle bacteria? Or should I attempt to cycle the rock somewhere else? The rock I would be adding has been sitting in saltwater with a powerhead for a couple months after being dry for a couple months after taking it out of another tank from a friend. It is sitting with no bioload and the water is a little colder than the reef tank is.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking you will likely want to cure the rock if it was previously live. Sounds like you already did that part though. Have you tested it at all for nitrate/phosphate or ammonia? I’m in a similar situation right now going to a larger tank and I will need to add about 100lbs of dry rock in the future. A little different than your situation.

OP
OP
Ag6594

Ag6594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it once like a month ago but then got away from my plan with the holidays. Hopefully someone with more experience than is can help us out. I just haven't done a tank upgrade before so I domt know about this part of the hobby much yet

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started curing rocks a few weeks ago. Dumped in a little micro bacter 7. Gave it flow and heat and as far as I can tell it’s cycled. I’ll dose another round of ammonia tomorrow and see if it clears in 24 hours. I’ll still have to add more dry rock at some point though!

OP
OP
Ag6594

Ag6594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably just do that as well to be safe I just might have to get a new heater

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an old ac pump you may not even need a heater. I mix saltwater with a Mag 7 and it heats 20 gallons to a perfect 79 degrees in a few hours.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back