Adding rock

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to make sure the process I used for preparing my additional live rock is acceptable. I had about 30lbs from an old tank sitting around about a year. I soaked it in bleach water in a barrel with a power head for a little over a week. Then I drained all of the water and put regular water in and added prime. I repeated this 3 times over a week. I let the rock air dry for 3 day. Yesterday I did a water change and took the dry rock and placed it in the barrel with the old tank water. Will this rock be ok to move to my sump after soaking a few days? I currently have a 400g volume system with about 250-300lbs of rock in it already. Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok after a week, unless there are bound up phosphates.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always going to be some organics left over and then also the possibility of some phosphates. Change some water in your display and use the old water in a bucket or barrel first... see if you get any ammonia after a few weeks and then see if the phosphates are higher, or lower, than your display.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back