Adding sand to established bare bottom

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with a mix of live and dry sand, all of it got rinsed in tap water. Just wanted to mention the live sand was VERY silty and dirty and I’m glad I rinsed it all. I can pick up and shift my sand and there’s no clouding.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry about the bacteria. They will be dormant and stuck to the sand like limpets. Rinse the heck out of the sand before putting it in the tank :)

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added 120 lbs. of sand to a bare bottom that had been established for 4+ years 225 using a 4" PVC pipe and had no issues. Cut the flow, siphon all the detritus you can, add sand, let it settle for a bit, and I've had zero issues.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Guys, I got sidetracked away from this thread before getting around to thanking everyone for their excellent advice and success stories. I am now adding the sand in at about 4 cups a week and feeling much more confident about it. Getting some brown surface algae(?) but all is going well.

Kacey

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had tanks both ways I'd never have sand/gravel again. Bare bottom is SO MUCH easier to control nutrients. That said you could still have gravel for wrasses by putting it in a container in a back corner hidden by rockwork. It works that's how I keep sand dwelling anemones in a bare bottom tank:
DSC02988.JPG

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had tanks both ways I'd never have sand/gravel again. Bare bottom is SO MUCH easier to control nutrients. That said you could still have gravel for wrasses by putting it in a container in a back corner hidden by rockwork. It works that's how I keep sand dwelling anemones in a bare bottom tank:
DSC02988.JPG
I've read about that way of keeping sand dwellers. I just thought that, after decades of reef tanks off and on, and never having a sand bottom, it was time to give the sandy side of reefing a try. Good job on the anemone, looks good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back