Washing Sand with tap water

CubanHogFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, so I have sand stored from a previous set up that i had, the sand has been in a bin for a while (7yrs), I would like to rinse the sand and rocks but dont know if its safe to use the garden hose ( tap water ) or should I use RO? and then do I just use it after rinsing and cycle the tank or do I have to wait to the sand and rock dry to set it up and then cycle the tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In order of safeness: Salt, RODI, then tap. . .

In order of practicality: tap

I would rinse in tap, drain the water, then let it dry out as best you can. Depending on how much sand you are working with getting it totally dry might take FOREVER, in that case I would just allow 24 hours time between rinse and putting it in the tank (let the chlorine evaporate or degrade or whatever. . .). I guess you could run carbon too. . .

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done it dozens of times. It shouldn't be a problem. Just use RO/DI water for the last rinse. If you want to be really thorough you can let it soak in Prime overnight in RO/DI (or even tap) water, then the next day soak it in RO/DI water the next day. Should be fine.

EDIT: Oh, unless it was used in a medicated tank that used copper. Then no.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, so I have sand stored from a previous set up that i had, the sand has been in a bin for a while (7yrs), I would like to rinse the sand and rocks but dont know if its safe to use the garden hose ( tap water ) or should I use RO? and then do I just use it after rinsing and cycle the tank or do I have to wait to the sand and rock dry to set it up and then cycle the tank?
I only ever rinsed with the garden hose. Followed by a quick rinse with RO if Im feeling fancy. But, then again Ive ran tanks with nyc tapwater exclusively and the ugly phase wasnt even that bad let alone any other problems.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note that not every place has troublesome tap water. The water around here must be quite clean to start with, so I guess the amount of chemicals they dump into it is less. I have no problems washing something in tap water, shaking the water off, or letting it drain well, then using it in an aquarium.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the sand stored figured I can use it rather toss it out and increasing cost of starting all over again. I've been out of the hobby for around 6-7 yrs and now getting back in, lots have changed since then especially cost of equipment
Understood, but it might be worth the cost. I reused sand the first move and will never do that again.

That being said, if you're starting a new tank, why not just add the sand as-is, and let any organics serve as the ammonia source for nitrifying bacteria?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note that not every place has troublesome tap water. The water around here must be quite clean to start with, so I guess the amount of chemicals they dump into it is less. I have no problems washing something in tap water, shaking the water off, or letting it drain well, then using it in an aquarium.
Someone once told me "a sneeze of chlorine [from tap water] won't hurt anything". I routinely clean the skimmer, pumps, etc in tap and put them right back in the tank.

OP
OP
CubanHogFish

CubanHogFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, but it might be worth the cost. I reused sand the first move and will never do that again.

That being said, if you're starting a new tank, why not just add the sand as-is, and let any organics serve as the ammonia source for nitrifying bacteria?
The sand sat in a brute trash can where I use to mix my salt water in, I put a lid on it and put it in my garage who knows what crawed in there in the last 6-7 yrs lol

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Use tapwater to rinse sand.

But I would probably use new sand.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you intend to use tap water to rinse sand, it may be worth checking your water quality report from your local water supply to see if they add phosphate. Phosphate can be several ppm in drinking water, and that may add more phosphate to the sand than you want, depending on how you rinse it and for how long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back