Adding sand to established tank

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going to be adding sand back into my tank next weekend and I have everything figured out but one thing.

I have two rock flowers that have taken residence on my bare bottom under some rock and I’m not sure how to add sand around them. If I bury them will they excavate themselves out or do I need to try to get them to move?

Pic for their placement now. I intend for a 1-1.5” sand bed throughout my tank.
2D722907-5E30-4E20-8866-FBF7DCF8AB99.jpeg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock anemone and it is quite capable of moving to another location if it deems that it has been disturbed too much in its current one. So I would think that they would be fine.

As for the sand, I would suggest that you wash any sand you add over and over again to get rid of sediment. It seems that no matter how much I was sand, I always wish I had washed it more after I add it to a tank.

Another aspect of sand is the more flow you in your tank the coarser the sand you need for it to stay put.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock anemone and it is quite capable of moving to another location if it deems that it has been disturbed too much in its current one. So I would think that they would be fine.

As for the sand, I would suggest that you wash any sand you add over and over again to get rid of sediment. It seems that no matter how much I was sand, I always wish I had washed it more after I add it to a tank.

Another aspect of sand is the more flow you in your tank the coarser the sand you need for it to stay put.
I have washed the sand and it’s in a 5 gal bucket sitting in rodi water. It’s clear now but I will rinse it throughout the week to make sure it’s clean then a final rinse in rodi before next weekend when I add it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey was this your dinoflagellates tank/rip clean test?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nick I’m truly happy and the above pics are detailed clear. Dinos got the boot, he he.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back