Adding sbars to ati fixture

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a deal on 2 48" Actnic sbars that I want to attach to my 48" ati dimmable Sunpower fixture. Has anyone done this, and if so did you need to drill the t5 fixture? I'm not seeing the 2 holes in brackets on sbars lining up with 2 screws on ati fixture.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT:
Removed post.

Sorry didn't realize you were referring to the sbars. I was referring to the reefbrites.

Last edited:

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will need to drill your own holes. They do not mount as well as the Orphek or reef brite strips. They hang a bit lower but work.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sbar bracket is slideable so it can be mount onto the bolts of the ati. You dont need to drill any hole. Just use tbe existing screw hole on the fixture. Unless it doesnt come with the slideable bracket since you got it used

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will not work because the screw head is too small and will slip through the sb bars mount hole. You could probably do this if you replaced the screw, but you would still need to drill a second hole in less you want to only have one screw on each end....which I would not advise, but would probably be fine

BC4721C3-9CC8-4C0F-A536-D9741257D6CF.jpeg

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you go that route, maybe add a nut to the back of the screw. I’ve had a few strip before and not hold the screw tightly, I wouldn’t trust those screws to hold a light bar up without a little extra support.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will not work because the screw head is too small and will slip through the sb bars mount hole. You could probably do this if you replaced the screw, but you would still need to drill a second hole in less you want to only have one screw on each end....which I would not advise, but would probably be fine

BC4721C3-9CC8-4C0F-A536-D9741257D6CF.jpeg
Thanks for this photo. I can clearly see where you drilled 2 holes in your fixture. This does seem.the safer route. What kind of screws did you use and did you have a nut on the back? Would a self tapping ss screed work?

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sbar bracket is slideable so it can be mount onto the bolts of the ati. You dont need to drill any hole. Just use tbe existing screw hole on the fixture. Unless it doesnt come with the slideable bracket since you got it used
Thanks for the reply. I was going to lean this way. I do have the sliding bar, but prefer 2 screws for better support. Maybe I just drill on new hole next to it rather than 2 new holes?

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A self tapping screw will work. My friends did that. I used nuts and screws

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use one screw on each side and its fine. Its the same with the XHO, they only use one screw. But its a personal choice. I dont like to put too much holes in the fixture incase i want to resell.

Back