Adding second overflow advice.

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m getting a new to me tank soon and the only I’m looking at purchasing has 1 corner return. I’m seriously considering adding a second corner overflow and wanted some direction:

-How much better would a dual system be? (Better circulation? Etc)

-Where can I find the black “wall”? I might bee searching incorrectly online.

Thanks!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? How big is the overflow? One should be plenty in most cases. You need flow in the tank. You can almost never practically get enough flow through a sump to not require adtional flow in the tank. Also it is not efficient to generate flow this way. It takes way more energy to pump water up 5-6 feet than to use flow pumps in the tank.

z28reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 125 gallon! The current overflow is a corner overflow.
You can usually find them on ebay search corner overflow boxes. Just use some reef safe silicone to secure it. Some of them even come with the glass drill bit. But be careful if its a glass tank the bottom may be tempered and will shatter as soon as you try to drill it. If its acrylic normal wood hole saws work great.

OP
OP
estevenson78

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can usually find them on ebay search corner overflow boxes. Just use some reef safe silicone to secure it. Some of them even come with the glass drill bit. But be careful if its a glass tank the bottom may be tempered and will shatter as soon as you try to drill it. If its acrylic normal wood hole saws work great.

Was just thinking: if it’s pre drilled already does that mean it’s not tempered glass?

z28reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just thinking: if it’s pre drilled already does that mean it’s not tempered glass?
Not necessarily I would check to see if it is tempered for sure with a pair of polarized sunglasses and a white screen. There are some great videos showing how to do it.

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily I would check to see if it is tempered for sure with a pair of polarized sunglasses and a white screen. There are some great videos showing how to do it.

+1 with this. instead of making another corner overflow and losing that much more space, get a nice low profile overflow like a fiji cube that would handle all your needs. Use the corner overflow (should be 2 holes) for a return line and an extra emergency drain. That is if it's not tempered. If it's tempered then you'll have to get it professionally drilled

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back