Adding smaller anthias to a single larger one

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 5 Lyretail Anthias but have lost 4 due to illness. Tank is back to stability and healthy. Would like to add 2 more anthias to create a small school.

LFS has 2 that are smaller (1.5 inch) than the current inhabitant (3.5 inch).

Is this a an issue? Am I asking for the 2 newbies getting picked on?

Other tank mates are 3 Zebrasoma tangs, 2 clownfish, 3 PJ Cardinals in a 230 gallon.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm no expert on anthias, but from my observations, it's hit and miss. Adding 2 smaller ones may just be a recipe for aggression. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. The tank is a good size, so that's in your favor.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert on anthias, but from my observations, it's hit and miss. Adding 2 smaller ones may just be a recipe for aggression. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. The tank is a good size, so that's in your favor.
Thank you. I went back to the LFS today and they are even smaller than I remembered. Not gonna risk it and will wait until they can get a couple larger ones.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lyetails are so mean to each other..... Even if you add 3 the same size its likely to be fighting until they sort themselves out. When they sort themselves out, they are fine, with occassional reminding of who's the boss.

Since its alone, it might be transitioning to male already anyway, so add females.

I've only had mine for 4 months, I'm still learning their behavior. See what others have to say.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back