Adding smaller anthias to a single larger one

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zero_Cool
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zero_Cool

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2022
Messages
5,246
Reaction score
10,160
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started with 5 Lyretail Anthias but have lost 4 due to illness. Tank is back to stability and healthy. Would like to add 2 more anthias to create a small school.

LFS has 2 that are smaller (1.5 inch) than the current inhabitant (3.5 inch).

Is this a an issue? Am I asking for the 2 newbies getting picked on?

Other tank mates are 3 Zebrasoma tangs, 2 clownfish, 3 PJ Cardinals in a 230 gallon.
 
I'm no expert on anthias, but from my observations, it's hit and miss. Adding 2 smaller ones may just be a recipe for aggression. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. The tank is a good size, so that's in your favor.
 
I'm no expert on anthias, but from my observations, it's hit and miss. Adding 2 smaller ones may just be a recipe for aggression. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. The tank is a good size, so that's in your favor.
Thank you. I went back to the LFS today and they are even smaller than I remembered. Not gonna risk it and will wait until they can get a couple larger ones.
 
lyetails are so mean to each other..... Even if you add 3 the same size its likely to be fighting until they sort themselves out. When they sort themselves out, they are fine, with occassional reminding of who's the boss.

Since its alone, it might be transitioning to male already anyway, so add females.

I've only had mine for 4 months, I'm still learning their behavior. See what others have to say.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new