Adding Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) to ESV B-Ionic (Alk Component)

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been keeping track of my PH a whole lot more lately, as I'm sure many others are, and ultimately I think I'm going to go with a more Sodium Carbonate based Alk component to get the benefits of the PH boost there. However, I currently have 2-3 gallons of each of my B-Ionic Alk/Cal components. First question is - excluding all the considerations around trace elements, ionic balance, etc. - can I simply add Sodium Hydroxide mixed with RODI into my Alk component without any major concerns?

I'd of course need to adjust the calcium component to adjust for the changes to the alk component and trace element ratios will be off, but I'd wager not enough to cause concerns with water changes and not using this solution too long term.

I'll also note that I absolutely love B-Ionic other than the lack of effect on PH. If there's a reasonable way to use B-Ionic with added components to increase PH I'm all ears - maybe even my Lye solution idea proposed here if that's a viable long-term approach. I've also considered using Kalk w/trace elements, but that's two additional dosing pumps and containers.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO! Do not chase pH. Low pH is from carbon dioxide in your water. There are a number of things you can do to lower CO2, and thereby raise pH. As example, run tubing from your skimmer to the outside; run refugium lights opposite to DT lights to mention two options. You could also use CO2 absorbents, but that gets expensive real fast.

HERE's an article from Dr. Randy Holmes Farley discussing pH

OP
OP
E

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NO! Do not chase pH. Low pH is from carbon dioxide in your water. There are a number of things you can do to lower CO2, and thereby raise pH. As example, run tubing from your skimmer to the outside; run refugium lights opposite to DT lights to mention two options. You could also use CO2 absorbents, but that gets expensive real fast.

HERE's an article from Dr. Randy Holmes Farley discussing pH

I definitely appreciate the guidance and I understand there are ways to reduce CO2, which I'm also looking at for sure. I've added a 40 gallon refugium and increased my lighting/par to help in that regard.

With that said, I'd also like to use a 2-part that has a greater effect on PH and am interested in the answers here.

OP
OP
E

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, HERE is a DIY two part that will assist in raising pH.

Really appreciate it and I have read that article. I also read the associated thread on this forum and that led me to my thinking to ask this question here - I don't believe there would be any major issues with doing what I've proposed based on what I've read here but I'm looking for someone to tell me if this is going to end up as a precipitated mess or otherwise just a catastrophic idea.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add Kalk to your ATO to provide a boost, but I don't know what would happen if you added it to your Alk container. @Randy Holmes-Farley would be able to tell you.

OP
OP
E

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could add Kalk to your ATO to provide a boost, but I don't know what would happen if you added it to your Alk container. @Randy Holmes-Farley would be able to tell you.

I know Kalk can be a great solution but one thing I've always disliked is that dosing changes based on how much evaporation occurs. To be clear for @Randy Holmes-Farley , this thread/question is about mixing your Lye-based alk solution with ESV B-Ionic alk portion and whether that would have any really negative effects outside of what is mentioned in original post. Thx!

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate it and I have read that article. I also read the associated thread on this forum and that led me to my thinking to ask this question here - I don't believe there would be any major issues with doing what I've proposed based on what I've read here but I'm looking for someone to tell me if this is going to end up as a precipitated mess or otherwise just a catastrophic idea.

Yes. there is some precipation going the hydroxide route. I have found out by trying

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I do not know all of the ingredients put into the alk part by ESV, it is hard to know what might be precipitating, but one possibility is just sodium carbonate by the common ion effect (due to sodium).

For example, if sodium carbonate is just below saturation, and you add any other sodium salt (chloride, hydroxide, etc.) then that will push the sodium carbonate into the supersaturated state, and may precipitate it.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One solution to adding kalk to a tank is to hookup a kalk reactor and feed it with a solenoid/pump. Then set that solenoid or pump on a timer. Set the timer to be less then your evaporation rate and then have a regular ato setup to control your water level in the sump.

Depending on your evap rate, and your kh/ca consumption, you can increase the time the kalk feeds your tank and try and keep a higher ph that way.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back