Sodium Hydroxide Question

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have recently used Sodium Hydroxide to kill off some Aptisa and it worked very well my question is I have a couple rocks with a good amount of Aptisa on it my could I not make a mix in a bucket and dip the whole rock into it vs turning off the pumps and spot treating and risking my Coral around it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have recently used Sodium Hydroxide to kill off some Aptisa and it worked very well my question is I have a couple rocks with a good amount of Aptisa on it my could I not make a mix in a bucket and dip the whole rock into it vs turning off the pumps and spot treating and risking my Coral around it?

If you are going to dip a whole rock, that would not be how I'd kill them, but it would certainly work. It will kill everything, and not be better than a little bleach in water.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to dip a whole rock, that would not be how I'd kill them, but it would certainly work. It will kill everything, and not be better than a little bleach in water.
So Bleach in water would be better? I Don't want to kill everything just the Aptisa what dosage do you recommend? Rinse before adding back to tank I assume

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Bleach in water would be better? I Don't want to kill everything just the Aptisa what dosage do you recommend? Rinse before adding back to tank I assume

Don't dip the whole rock in sodium hydroxide if you do not want to kill everything. Same for bleach.

I do not know of a dip that is selective for aiptasia. In tank, many chemicals are only specific because you apply it onto or into them.

Note that sodium hydroxide raises pH and alk in your tank, so do not go wild doing a lot at once.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dip the whole rock in sodium hydroxide if you do not want to kill everything. Same for bleach.

I do not know of a dip that is selective for aiptasia. In tank, many chemicals are only specific because you apply it onto or into them.

Note that sodium hydroxide raises pH and alk in your tank, so do not go wild doing a lot at once.

Note that sodium hydroxide raises pH and alk in your tank, so do not go wild doing a lot at on

Ah ok I understand so spot dosing is better then the whole rock ok thank you sir!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back