Adding T5 fixture to current LED light vs adding another LED light

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS is growing, but I feel like they're not getting enough light. Compared to when I first got them (about a month and a half ago), they lost all their polyps on the lower branches. I have a 45-ish gallon tank (28'' L x 20'' W x 20'' H) lit by just a single Aquamedic Qube 50.

I'm thinking about adding a T5 fixture with 2 lights. All the fixtures I can find however, aren't suitable to combine with my current LED light. Ideally I'd like a fixture with about 6'' of space between the 2 lights, so my current light can fit inbetween. Does anyone know if there is such thing without having to add 2 seperate fixtures?

Bonus question. Reason I'm looking for T5 is because everyone tells me it's so much better then LED (in terms of growth and coloration). I'm pretty happy with the current coloration (sure, prettier colors would be nice, but nothing's looking dull or anything), a bit more growth would be nice, but my main concern is the bare bottom branches of the SPS. Would it be sufficient if I just added another Qube 50? That'd be an easier and, in my opinion, prettier option.

Last edited:

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I built my own 2x T5 fixture to flank my Ocean Revive. Using aluminum angle. You could do the same and retrofit yours with 6" in between if need be. Looks pretty to me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with Qube fixture, but yeah, a single source light is going to (eventually anyway) leave shadows. Two will do better for sure -- you will just want to measure for any overlapping hot spots and adjust height accordingly.

I am a fairly recent convert to T5 from LED for a few reasons, light dispersion among them. I have 3 of the Aquatic Life hybrid fixtures. The middle gap I just measured at 7". They come with 3 or 4 different mounts for Kessil, AI, Radion maybe another. Should not be difficult to DIY the Qube(s) into it safely. Build quality is just OK but they are a great value for money IMO.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 66 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%

Back