Adding T5HO with LEDs

Mterry9239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm turning my tank to a mixed reef tank slowly. I currently have 75 gallon (48"x18x18) running 48" Current USA IC PRO Dual lights and recently bought Helios 108w 2 bulb T5HO light to get better PAR for sps. ( Attempting a mixed reef) I have 2 ATI bulbs, (Blue Plus and Coral Plus) i am changing out from stock bulbs which is going to increase my PAR. Currently my light fixture are resting on top of tank strapped down, as shown in picture. As I add these 2 new bulbs should I raise the light fixture? I have legs to raise the light, as shown in photo 2. Coverage isn't the issue as i have the 2 LED bars i can arrange for that its the light intensity that im worried about. Also I have a glass top i would like to add. Is that going to lower my intensity?

20210113_162232.jpg 20201216_133822.jpg

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like the glass top... they usually.crack and break anyway.

Go get some conduit pipe for electrical. A pipe bender in the aisle you can use... bend it up to your dimensions. Primer and paint black. Clamp to the back of stand for light hanger. Hths

...you can buy 2 pieces and the pipe bender and do at home. Practice. Also you might be able to return the pipe bender too. Lol
D

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like glass tops. The goose stepping glass top police here don't like them, but its my tank.Drastically eliminate evap to the point I dont need an ATO and improves tank stability. They reduce light a small amount unless you use low iron glass, so turn your lights up a bit if you have to.

Get them cut in sections from a hardware store if its a big tank. Epoxy a handle if you want.

I dont crack mine, but I don't wear a helmet and don't slap them with my forearm.

OP
OP
Mterry9239

Mterry9239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like glass tops. The goose stepping glass top police here don't like them, but its my tank.Drastically eliminate evap to the point I dont need an ATO and improves tank stability. They reduce light a small amount unless you use low iron glass, so turn your lights up a bit if you have to.

Get them cut in sections from a hardware store if its a big tank. Epoxy a handle if you want.

I dont crack mine, but I don't wear a helmet and don't slap them with my forearm.
Could I just rest both fixtures right on the too of the glass top?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im talking about the glass tops that come with fish tanks. They are usually thin. Crack to the light and heat. I like net tops. Made from window screen kits and bird netting. Lol
D

OP
OP
Mterry9239

Mterry9239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Because I like the idea of reducing my ATO lol. I had them cut already to fit at a glass shop

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly thought glass tops had become obsolete with the use of ATOs....I didn't realize people were still using them. Back in the day every tank had them.....I remember countless hours trying to clean the salt creep from mine lol. You do get less evaporation but you also get less gas exchange at the surface.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back