adding tangs

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 75 g. going to upgrade to a 125 gal. i currently have a yellow eye kole tang in my 75 and the powder brown tang is in my qt tank for now until i finish the build. what is recommended on how many tang I need to add to avoid aggression from the kole tang. 2, 3, 4 at a time? I want little aggression with the yellow kole tang. also what size should the new tangs be when I add them. every tang the LFS sells are an inch to 2 inches. I would say the kole tang is around 5 inches.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone’s going to be a bad actor my moneys on the powder brown. IMO they are kinda jerks.
If it were me, I’d add that fish last.
Mixing genera helps and so does mixing shapes
Yes similar sizes helps but “sometimes” so does adding a much bigger or smaller fish…
generally add small to large, peaceful then aggressive last

Addictedreefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank I wouldn't add anymore tangs than you already have small space and multiple tangs will probably cause aggression. Just add the powder brown and feed heavy until they get settled in. When you upgrade to the 125. You can get a cpl more. Just remember most of the time it helps adding them all at the same time.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank I wouldn't add anymore tangs than you already have small space and multiple tangs will probably cause aggression. Just add the powder brown and feed heavy until they get settled in. When you upgrade to the 125. You can get a cpl more. Just remember most of the time it helps adding them all at the same time.
I was thinking similar but the thought of being labeled a "tang police" scared me off :p ... just thinking of my carefully crafted online persona :p ;):rolleyes:

Every tang can be different but if possible I'd add that PBT last ... you say 125g? might get away with a 3rd dissimilar smaller-medium type, maybe a mimic of some type.... I'm being careful here :)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long time since I read the horror stories of tangs fighting to the death. I would like to thank the tang police for that. Their information helped me understand the needs of these beautiful creatures.

Only time my tangs were aggressive, was the day they met. All has been good in the reef for over a year now. I did add the pbt last but he soon went from the smallest to biggest and is now leader of the pact.
775CDFD0-DB98-4C9F-A127-53DFB3060462.jpeg

my bristle tooth is playing where’s Waldo in this pic.
Tank is a 4x2x2 120g

I added the yellow and scopes together and they bonded for a long time. When I added the bristletooth I used a mirror to keep the scopas tang from fighting with BT. I do this for a few hours to two days depending on how long it takes the older tangs to get used to the new one. I always try to add a few fish at a time whenever I add a tang. On one occasion I had to add a new rock to make a home for the new arrival, this throws off the territorial tang. After I added the hippo the scopas tang was no longer the head hancho and the yellow tang broke up with the scopas.( they used to sleep under the same rock)

it is important that each tang has their own cave to sleep. During the day they should get along or at least tolerate each other. If they don’t after a couple days, I recommend you remove the new addition. I’ve never had to do that but I don’t recommend leaving a fish to fight another, casual pecking to establish leadership is common in the beginning.

I noticed that feeding nori after adding a new tang helps and the mirror trick is my go to for the first day. Keep an eye on the chasing, they shouldn’t go round and round the tank. Chasing him off is different then chasing him down. If your tangs are chasing each other down and whipping their tails at each other you need to act. Either add more caves or cut your losses.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ to people that don't keep reef fish that all sounds like giving fish too much credit for social skills, but its true. Also there is trans species bonding, esp. amongst closely related species/. And mixed species do form loose aggregations and pecking orders, et. Usually there is a tank boss also. I purchased a Atlantic Blue tang and foxface around the same time at the same size and they've been bonded ever since

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ to people that don't keep reef fish that all sounds like giving fish too much credit for social skills, but its true. Also there is trans species bonding, esp. amongst closely related species/. And mixed species do form loose aggregations and pecking orders, et. Usually there is a tank boss also. I purchased a Atlantic Blue tang and foxface around the same time at the same size and they've been bonded ever since
My foxface, scopas, and tomini are best friends. Always together, except at night. They have their own 'rooms' so to speak.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back