Adding Vinegar to Kalkwasser

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently dosing 91ml per hour of fully saturated kalkwasser which equals 2184 ml each day. This has maintained my CA at 430 and ALK at 7.5. I also dose 35ml/day of vinegar. I'd like to add my vinegar to the kalk mix so they can be dosed together but I know this will further saturate the kalk mix. My question is how much will the addition of the vinegar raise my CA and Alk levels.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently dosing 91ml per hour of fully saturated kalkwasser which equals 2184 ml each day. This has maintained my CA at 430 and ALK at 7.5. I also dose 35ml/day of vinegar. I'd like to add my vinegar to the kalk mix so they can be dosed together but I know this will further saturate the kalk mix. My question is how much will the addition of the vinegar raise my CA and Alk levels.

Not that much, vinegar is an acid but a weak one compared to how well Kalk will increase pH, but it will do some. If you need a little boost add a 50-250 ml per gallon to your RODI. Or equal to the vinegar you add now per evaporation

OP
OP
Jizu Puentes

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that much, vinegar is an acid but a weak one compared to how well Kalk will increase pH, but it will do some. If you need a little boost add a 50-250 ml per gallon to your RODI. Or equal to the vinegar you add now per evaporation
I'm not adding the vinegar specifically to boost the kalk but just to save me from manually dosing it or missing doses. I dose 35ml daily as a carbon source so to maintain that dose I'd add 5 cups or 60.5 ml/gallon to my 20 gallon still reservoir. I'm just wondering what will happen to my CA and Alk with a continued dose of 91ml per hour with te addition of vinegar to the mix.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not adding the vinegar specifically to boost the kalk but just to save me from manually dosing it or missing doses. I dose 35ml daily as a carbon source so to maintain that dose I'd add 5 cups to my 20 gallon still reservoir. I'm just wondering what will happen to my CA and Alk with a continued dose of 91ml per hour with te addition of vinegar to the mix.

Not much, but the Kalk will be slightly more saturated with ALK/Cal. Monitor your levels and adjust the amount of Kalk you add or dose. Dosing less isn't so bad, maybe once a week you will need to add a little additional fresh water to keep constant salinity

OP
OP
Jizu Puentes

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much, but the Kalk will be slightly more saturated with ALK/Cal. Monitor your levels and adjust the amount of Kalk you add or dose. Dosing less isn't so bad, maybe once a week you will need to add a little additional fresh water to keep constant salinity
OK, I didnt know if there was a calculation or something so I could figure out how much to lower my dose per day to account for the boost. I guess I'll just lower my dose from 91ml to maybe 89 and start testing.
My ATO should be able to maintain the salinity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back