Adding Water With 54ppt?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my salinity has been a little low recently (32ppt) so I decided to mix 1/2 cup extra salt mix into 5 gallons of RO water. I measured the salinity this morning, and it's 54ppt! Is it a bad idea to add some of this to my system to bring the salinity back up to 35ppt? If it's okay, how much should I add? 1 gallon? 1/2 gallon?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends entirely on how big the tank is. I've use water at about 50ppt (about a cup of reef crystals in a gallon for that, don't really measure, not even using a calibrated salinity checker...) to raise a 75 gallon qt from 28 to 35 to match the display over the course of 48 hours. Adding very little at a time.

To just raise your salinity all you need to do is top off with salt water until it's right.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether you can make and store hypersaline seawater may depend on the salt mix. I’d be less inclined to try it with high alk mixes like Red Sea Coral Pro that are already prone to precipitation.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether you can make and store hypersaline seawater may depend on the salt mix. I’d be less inclined to try it with high alk mixes like Red Sea Coral Pro that are already prone to precipitation.
Okay, I use Fritz Blue Box, so I don’t think it should be an issue, as it’s a low alk mix.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back