Additional CUC?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 month old 25 gallon lagoon with 4 small fish, a pistol shrimp, 5 RFAs, and 3 small lightbulb nems. I also have one small zoa colony and a good bit of macro algae. I am not seeing any negative indicators popping up, but I want to stay out in front of potential issues. I feed 1/6 of an enriched mysis cube, and 20 or so veggie pellets a day. Current CUC consists of:
  • an army of micro brittle stars
  • 1 brittle star the size of a silver dollar
  • 1 purple urchin
  • 5 porcelain crabs
  • 4 nessarius snails
  • 6 limpets
  • a few hydroids, not really multiplying
  • probably some worms...
I am not really into crabs (porcelains are the exception). Should I add more CUC? If so, what would you recommend (besides crabs). Thanks for looking!

IMG_5284.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That urchin should be able to handle most of the filamentous algae that pops up--maybe not bryopsis. I'd probably add some trochus if anything is showing on your rocks, virgin nerites if you get film on your glass (and they look cool), and a swarm of dwarf ceriths to get in the cracks.

Those limpets, if hitchhikers, should do some work. I have one off TBS rock that almost single-footedly handled my ulva and minor GHA problem in my 10g tank. Bubble algae on the other hand...

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That urchin should be able to handle most of the filamentous algae that pops up--maybe not bryopsis. I'd probably add some trochus if anything is showing on your rocks, virgin nerites if you get film on your glass (and they look cool), and a swarm of dwarf ceriths to get in the cracks.

Those limpets, if hitchhikers, should do some work. I have one off TBS rock that almost single-footedly handled my ulva and minor GHA problem in my 10g tank. Bubble algae on the other hand...
LOL, the urchin's name is Roomba... The only filamentous algae he does not get is on the chord to my powerhead. Yes, TBS rock, limpets are hitchhikers. They rock. I do get some film algae on the glass, so good suggestions on the nerites and ceriths. Thank you!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer? Frog Spawn? Duncan? Candy Cane? Any suggestions?
All good choices. Didn't find your build thread. Are you using the Kessil A80? If so, might want to stick with easy LPS since I understand it isn't the most powerful light. Perhaps torches a bit higher on the rocks, hammers/octos/frogs mid-high. Can do acans and blastos on the rocks in the left and right sides. They grow and fill in nicely and like a bit lower light.

You have a nice sand bed. Could add a nice meaty coral like a scoly, or maybe a trachy.

Some favias in the shadier areas.

I would confer with the goni enthusiasts for best placement if you want gonis, but I have an alveopora that does really well around 100 PAR and has been fine in both higher and lower flow. Gets big.

And for SPS, you might consider a potato chip mint pavona. They look super great when they start filling out and aren't too picky--I can even grow one!

Can't go wrong with more RFAs!!

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good choices. Didn't find your build thread. Are you using the Kessil A80? If so, might want to stick with easy LPS since I understand it isn't the most powerful light. Perhaps torches a bit higher on the rocks, hammers/octos/frogs mid-high. Can do acans and blastos on the rocks in the left and right sides. They grow and fill in nicely and like a bit lower light.

You have a nice sand bed. Could add a nice meaty coral like a scoly, or maybe a trachy.

Some favias in the shadier areas.

I would confer with the goni enthusiasts for best placement if you want gonis, but I have an alveopora that does really well around 100 PAR and has been fine in both higher and lower flow. Gets big.

And for SPS, you might consider a potato chip mint pavona. They look super great when they start filling out and aren't too picky--I can even grow one!

Can't go wrong with more RFAs!!
Well, you called me on it, no build thread. I have enough photos and documentation that I could do it after 4 months in... Maybe after the new year. I am hoping the RFAs multiply. They are doing really good.

I am using 2 Kessil A80 Tuna Blues. The tank is only 11 inches deep, so the weaker light penetration is not an issue. They are about 4 inches from the water surface. I just ordered the Kessil controller, so I will dial in the lights before adding more coral i think. The macros are growing really well. I appreciate your suggestions! Thanks

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I'm setting up a new tank, I like to go over to ReefCleaners' website and see their recommended CuC packages (based on tank size) to get a good idea of how many of what kinds of snails to add. Even if I don't buy the whole package from them, it gives a good idea of the mix of critters, and how many-ish to eventually add. I follow their guidelines pretty closely usually, with hermits and crabs, but typically only add stuff as I need it.

The other thing you can do that will help tremendously is to add pods. Seed with a good mix of copepods from someone reputable. I've used Jay's Reef Bugs a lot lately. He packs his bottles FULL of pods, and I've had good success with the multi-species blend that he has. I also use his blended phyto. Seems to be the same blends and same quality as the "big guys", but at a fraction of the price.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I'm setting up a new tank, I like to go over to ReefCleaners' website and see their recommended CuC packages (based on tank size) to get a good idea of how many of what kinds of snails to add. Even if I don't buy the whole package from them, it gives a good idea of the mix of critters, and how many-ish to eventually add. I follow their guidelines pretty closely usually, with hermits and crabs, but typically only add stuff as I need it.

The other thing you can do that will help tremendously is to add pods. Seed with a good mix of copepods from someone reputable. I've used Jay's Reef Bugs a lot lately. He packs his bottles FULL of pods, and I've had good success with the multi-species blend that he has. I also use his blended phyto. Seems to be the same blends and same quality as the "big guys", but at a fraction of the price.
Thanks for the suggestions. No shortage of pods in my tank... Ocean live rock is teaming with them. I dose some phytoplankton every couple days.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nerites are doing work, and very pretty! The Duncan is doing well. The Ceriths buried themselves in the sand after a couple days and appear alive, but lazy. Are they nocturnal or something?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nerites are doing work, and very pretty! The Duncan is doing well. The Ceriths buried themselves in the sand after a couple days and appear alive, but lazy. Are they nocturnal or something?
They are quite nocturnal. But also lazy. Nocturnal lazy snails. Wait till you get a conch that does amazing work and then buries itself for a month!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back