Additional Jumper Protection for canopy

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I am currently cycling my new Planet 120G build. My tank has a canopy, but was wondering what other measures those with canopies take to protect jumpers (eg. wrasses, jawfish etc.) I purchased a cover for my overflow box and was thinking about running netting along the back opening. Only problem is the netting wouldn't cover the overflow lid, so possibly a jumper could land on the overflow lid.

Curious of what some of you are doing. I have a watchman goby that I'll be moving to the tank that likes to jump and I have a blue spotted jawfish and blue throat fairy wrasse currently in quarantine.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I am currently cycling my new Planet 120G build. My tank has a canopy, but was wondering what other measures those with canopies take to protect jumpers (eg. wrasses, jawfish etc.) I purchased a cover for my overflow box and was thinking about running netting along the back opening. Only problem is the netting wouldn't cover the overflow lid, so possibly a jumper could land on the overflow lid.

Curious of what some of you are doing. I have a watchman goby that I'll be moving to the tank that likes to jump and I have a blue spotted jawfish and blue throat fairy wrasse currently in quarantine.

Appreciate the thoughts.

I would go with netting for the back opening for sure. Overflow i would first try netting or mesh. If that cant work you could post a request here for a 3d printed cover which could be pretty rad

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't started my build yet but was planning on having a mesh net cover using one of the kits. Don't want to have to worry about a jumper landing on the bracing.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used egg crate for the back of the canopy and made a cover for my overflow. I've never worried about something jumping onto the cover.

Attachments

• Overflow cover.png
    Overflow cover.png
    833.2 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used egg crate for the back of the canopy and made a cover for my overflow. I've never worried about something jumping onto the cover.
Thanks for sharing. I purchased one of those DIY cover kits. Instead of covering the whole tank, I was thinking of doing something like you did; I am glad to see that you haven't had any casualties of one not being able to get off the overflow cover as it would be my preference to structure it this way.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I purchased one of those DIY cover kits. Instead of covering the whole tank, I was thinking of doing something like you did; I am glad to see that you haven't had any casualties of one not being able to get off the overflow cover as it would be my preference to structure it this way.
I should have mentioned it's been this way for 5 years and no casualties

Back