Additives Just me or am I crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept reef and marine tank for 35 years ongoing: NEVER ADDED a single supllement only relied on water changes, Never HAD one issue with My corals ever, then why so many SNAKEOIL supplements on the market? Who buys and uses them? What am i missing? Brightwell has like 30 plus supplements!

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you don't perform a lot of water changes you need to add the missing trace elements back in somehow...
10 percent to 20 percent weekly. rather pay for salt remove some organics at the same time, To each his own, I guess LOL

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to run Reef Tank-Water changes and no or little supplements or No water changes and more supplements.
There are some reefers, though who perform frequent water changes and add lots of supplements. I guess advertizing works. Also, in newly established tanks, with few corals, you need few if any supplements.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept reef and marine tank for 35 years ongoing: NEVER ADDED a single supllement only relied on water changes, Never HAD one issue with My corals ever, then why so many SNAKEOIL supplements on the market? Who buys and uses them? What am i missing? Brightwell has like 30 plus supplements!
"Kept reef for over 35 years" "Never had one issue with my corals ever"

Can I please be the one to call B.S. on this guy

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Kept reef for over 35 years" "Never had one issue with my corals ever"

Can I please be the one to call B.S. on this guy
Hey WHY SO HOSTILE< I am a MEdical Doctor and research scientist with alot of Knowledge . What is your problem!

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All I am siding with ‘the doc’ on this. My tank ran for 20 years with no problems … admittedly only softies, fish and water changes. The new tank will be zoa’s and SPS primarily. It will be interesting to see if I ever need to go down the additive route. My new plan is to do minimal daily water changes adding up to 8-10% per week. Fingers crossed… I am at home all the time do routine water change takes 5 minutes per day.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All I am siding with ‘the doc’ on this. My tank ran for 20 years with no problems … admittedly only softies, fish and water changes. The new tank will be zoa’s and SPS primarily. It will be interesting to see if I ever need to go down the additive route. My new plan is to do minimal daily water changes adding up to 8-10% per week. Fingers crossed… I am at home all the time do routine water change takes 5 minutes per day.
be prepared to start adding elements. sps will take up more than you can add back with waterchanges. also what 'the doc' is claiming will work fine with softies, but only with softies. SPS needs stability, not huge swings in alk when you do your waterchanges.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't dose anything to my tank, I rely on weekly water changes.

I do believe that additives play a role in the hobby, but not to the extent that new hobbyists think its imperative to success, which is where we are now IMO.

We see it all the time here on the forum, someone built a tank last week and they want to start dosing something right away, but they don't know what to dose, nor even why they are dosing, they just feel its something that is intregel to the hobby, but its not.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will chime in again. My point is MOST Hobbyist Aquarists will NOT have The time or the sophisticated analysis of instruments to measure their parameters and who would want to, taking the joy out of the hobby. I knew Albert Thiel personally and He once Joked with a grain of truth that in his heyday he could pee in a bottle and place a eye catching pretty label on it and people would buy it. Sadly he passed on a few years ago. People will always defend their position on doing something reef tanks and all, Human nature. I wish all my Fellow aquarists LUCK just don t be duped my the companies selling you items YOU MAY NOT NEED> Good Luck.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will chime in again. My point is MOST Hobbyist Aquarists will NOT have The time or the sophisticated analysis of instruments to measure their parameters and who would want to, taking the joy out of the hobby. I knew Albert Thiel personally and He once Joked with a grain of truth that in his heyday he could pee in a bottle and place a eye catching pretty label on it and people would buy it. Sadly he passed on a few years ago. People will always defend their position on doing something reef tanks and all, Human nature. I wish all my Fellow aquarists LUCK just don t be duped my the companies selling you items YOU MAY NOT NEED> Good Luck.
what do you define as dosing? every reefer that keeps stony corals that has growth in their tank will need to supplement calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. are you saying people should stop dosing those or are you talking about the dosing of aminos, coral food and bacteria. just want to clarify

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a terrible grasp on spelling and grammar... LOL... just busting your chops. Not really...

what do you define as dosing? every reefer that keeps stony corals that has growth in their tank will need to supplement calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. are you saying people should stop dosing those or are you talking about the dosing of aminos, coral food

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jft can u post pic of tank? Im trying to achieve same thing but im finding as my corals grow my alk demands are getting swings. I would like to see what is possible with just water changes.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do What works for you. We use reef crystals and Hw marinemix and alternate between the two. Thats what works for us here in the lab good growth and great results thats all I am saying.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jft can u post pic of tank? Im trying to achieve same thing but im finding as my corals grow my alk demands are getting swings. I would like to see what is possible with just water changes.
my guess he's just trolling... what he claims is just not possible. you have to dose at least alk, ca and mg. the rest is up to the reefer how to maintain it. if he wasnt trolling he wouldnt have played the "im a doctor" card, shown pictures of the tank and answered questions directly

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank full of stonies you may have to do large waterchanges multiple times a day if you don't want alkalinity to swing.

Thats just uneconomical. Dosing is much cheaper.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt and water changes isn’t sufficient to replace/control CA/ALK and many other elements in demanding tanks and is ultimately more expensive if you attempt to. Basic softie tanks are OK with It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back