Adjusting flow of GFO

nycjwi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm have a problem with high phosphate and super low nitrates. I have started dosing Nitrates in an attempt to lower phosphates but also want to run some GFO to help lower. I am using a GFO reactor and in the past it has stripped the Phosphates to near zero which I don't want, even though I used less then what was recommended for my tank size. How do you tune down the flow of the GFO and still keep it tumbling so that it works correctly. Any advise on how to run the GFO reactor and keep phosphates at around .05 would be greatly appreciated...

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My reactor has a ball valve but not sure how helpful it is. Seems po4 is always either falling or going up but never staying put.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the amount you use, not the flow through the reactor. The flow should always tumble the GFO slightly(think slow boil at the surface).

GFO can be very powerful and should be used with caution. Just for the reason you noted.

I mix carbon with my GFO just because of the amount I use, would not work well in a reactor. The carbon negates the tumbling as the carbon keeps the granules from clumping.

FWIW....
In my 80G cube, 3TBS drops phosphates from .2 to .1 in a couple days. That small amount is not enough to use in a reactor alone.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor is plumbed into my return line so wouldn't be able to turn that off. Whats the minimum amount of gfo you can use in a reactor? I am using the mini reactor from brs.

OP
OP
N

nycjwi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mix with with Charcoal then you don't have to boil it since it is separated by the charcoal correct and will not clump?

Eagle78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use gfo in reactor, but now switch to small bague directly in sump. More easy to swap the gfo. But need to be replace more often.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mix with with Charcoal then you don't have to boil it since it is separated by the charcoal correct and will not clump?

I ran GFO that way in my reactor. It's a decent plan, IMO.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly how I use it, and have for many years now.

I use the mini from BRS for my 85G total system volume. 3tbs GFO, mixed with 9 tbs rox carbon, changed biweekly. Keeps my water smelling good(really only reason I run carbon, hate that low tide smell), and phosphates right in the 0.1 to 0.2 range.

GFO is a really powerful media to use. You have to be careful not to strip your water to fast, or to clean.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back