Adult Tomato clown fish colours

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do adult tomato clownfish stay vibrant orange as they mature? I’ve seen a few photos on the internet and a lot of them have large black patches or turn quite dark.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on the type of tomato and the region you are getting them from.

If you are referring to the standard Tomato Clownfish called Amphiprion frenatus then the mature female has black on the body and the male is all orange.

I don’t know if I am allowed to link to other websites. Search google for amphiprionology. You will find a site with lots of photos of different Clownfish in various regions.

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly dark, some burnt red, some almost black... And mean.

I had one in a tank few years back that I couldn't put a slender fish in because it would literally bite it in half or bite its tail completely off.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will be in their own tank with bta’s and a sixline wrasse. Aggression won’t be an issue...except for towards me :):D

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Melanopus and used to scoff at folk that said clown fish could draw blood. I now have lots of small scars on my hand from the female who hits like a freight train, she's sneaky too!

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it’s freaky when they attack. Especially at the soft park on the back of the hand where it hurts the most.

Back